[Owasp-board] FW: Suggested Core Values Attached

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Dec 22 16:47:08 UTC 2010

I think this is where we are..

1.      Open - At OWASP, everything we do is radically transparent. This
means that our work is done in public so that we can get early feedback and
participation. Our governance and finances are also fully disclosed so that
anyone can verify that we are good steward for the application security
community.

2.      Integrity - OWASP is not for sale.  Our most precious commodity is
the trust that people put in our work. If we even show the appearance of
being biased by commercial forces, we lose that trust. OWASP's non-profit
status and volunteer leadership helps to shield us from these forces. This
does not imply that we cannot work with commercial companies when their
goals align with ours, just that we must remain vigilant against the
appearance of impropriety.

3.      Global - OWASP engages a global community for a global problem.
Anyone anywhere is open to participate in the OWASP community. MORE HERE.

4.      Experimentation - OWASP uses projects to create progress.
Application security is still a very young discipline. At OWASP, we
encourage and support all kinds of experiments to find solutions to our
challenges. Where we have success we may create standards that encourage
further experimentation. Leadership in OWASP is based on effort and results,
and we want anyone with the drive to create and promote new ideas to join
with us.

5.      Ethical - At OWASP we behave ethically and treat others with
respect. MORE HERE.

I apologize for not getting these finished.  I'm hoping you all can drive
this forward.

--Jeff