[Owasp-board] FW: Questions about OWASP support to local chapters

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Mon Dec 20 14:18:59 UTC 2010

Here is a very difficult situation...

AppSec Asia (China Summit) was held in October.  The conferences committee
was not involved in the management or planning of this event.  The
foundation did not review any of the contracts that were signed for the
event ( outside planning company, venue, catering, travel).  Tom Brennan
traveled to the conference as the OWASP Foundation board member
representative and the event was acknowledged by the Foundation.  The
committee had requested updates from the Asia planning team.

While he was at the event, Tom spoke with the Asia planners about the
Foundation initiative discussed during the September meeting that would
allocate $2500/chapter for chapter support.

So, the China chapter leader, Rip Torn, is requesting this reimbursement
from the Foundation to offset some of the deficit from the China Summit.
You can follow this email thread to get the background on that conversation.
Helen Gao (Long Island chapter leader) has been serving as the "translator"

So, we have a Foundation event that was managed outside the conferences
committee and has a loss of (on the books) $9K - actually $18K if you
include the personal sponsorship paid by Rip.

What is our course of action?

Kate Hartmann
Operations Director
301-275-9403