[Owasp-board] (funding OWASP Leaders that deserve to be at the Summit) Re: Fw: Global Summit

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Sat Dec 4 04:02:59 UTC 2010

Hi Tin, Cassio and Richard (CCing the Summit Team and GCC)

Thanks for your interrest in the Summit, and I completely agree that you
deserve to be at the Summit (based on your past and recent contributions to
OWASP (namely the the AppSec USA). I also know from your past performance
and organization capabilities, that you all will have a very big/import
contribution to make before/during/after the summit (and that you will also
benefit a lot professionally from participating)

Tom's proposed funding model in the thread below (get an OWASP corporate
sponsorship and use the 40% split to cover the cost of participation) is
just one of the ways that can be used OWASP leaders to fund their expenses.

Another funding model is if the employeer is able to support it. Note that
(amongst the other benefits that the employeer will have from the
employee's participation) the employeer would see its logo on this page:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011#tab=Summit_Attendees (see the two
columns for the 'Summit Time' and 'Summit Expenses'))

In terms of OWASP providing the funding for your expenses. At the moment we
only have 50,000 USD budget allocated to the Summit (as you can see here:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011#tab=Sponsoring). The problem is
that with that 50k amount, event with the great per-person venue price that
we were to negotiate (see
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011#tab=Summit_Pricing_and_Reservations)
we are only able to cover about 25 to 30 people (some of the venue costs is
being covered from that 50k).

*Now, do you guys deserve to be at Summit?* (specially since you generated a
profit from your conference).* Of course!!!*, and me (and the Summit's team)
is going to put a lot of energy in trying to find ways to cover your
expenses, in the cases of:
 - your employeer is not able to cover the funds
 - your local chapter doesn't have the funds
 - there is no OWASP corporate membership that happens in the next
weeks/month allocated via you.

*In fact, can I ask you guys to help us with this?* There is still quite a
lot to do to get this machine in action (for example Kate & Sarah need help
in populating and maintaining the
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee page (which is vital for
the mapping of how much more funds we (OWASP) need to get in order to take
to the Summit the OWASP leaders that deserve to be there)).

*So, bottom line, I (and the Summit Team) really need you guys (Tin, Cassio
and Richard) to be at the Summit.* And if you are able to get the time to go
there, *it would be massive loss (and failure) if we couldn't get the funds
required to get you there.*

So, can you help?

Dinis Cruz

Blog: http://diniscruz.blogspot.com