[Owasp-board] [Global_membership_committee] FW: OWASP and JPMC

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Thu Dec 2 17:51:58 UTC 2010

In a separate email sent to Jeff, Pete, and Alison, I indicated that the
long term benefits of including 15,000 developers far outweighs the up-front
cost of registration and membership.  So, Is it about the money?  No - it is
not.

The membership committee has already discussed the possible "rules of
engagement" for organizations purchasing bulk memberships.  Voting rights is
definitely one of the parameters that had come up.

Are there other circumstances that I'm not aware of?  Probably, considering
your email.

My purpose is to find out how to make this a reality and help find a way to
bring into OWASP 15,000 developers.  Similar requests have surfaced (albeit,
not on this scale) so I think this is something we need to discuss.

Local chapters would benefit from the support of the corporate membership
(40/60) as well as the increase in meeting attendance and outreach.  I don't
think there needs to be a financial split on a $10 membership.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

 <http://www.owasp.org/> www.owasp.org

List; global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Global_membership_committee] FW: OWASP and JPMC

Membership has a voting right to elections and direction of OWASP Foundation
and it a elective item of a individual to self associate with OWASP.  YES or
NO?

A corporate sponsor $5k can certainly donate more time, more money and more
resources in support of OWASP mission but should not be allowed to INFLUENCE
OWASP to reduced membership fees or obtain special perks that break the
membership model and equality around the world.

I do not feel that there is alignment of JPMC and our principals on this
one...  membership to owasp is not a regulatory compliance, auditor
requirement of a developer training program for ABC company at a discounted
price.  I am VERY close to this as well as other members of OWASP Board so
we need to measure twice here before cutting once and setting a game
changing adjustment and I suggest a discussion on this item.

15,000 people (aka:JMPC developer worldwide) = 750,000 in membership fees
got it -- if you don't share with the local chapters the agreed 40% of a
membership fee then your at $450,000 (and breaking the membership current
model)  snowball effect starts.

Is it about the money - I hope not.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
wrote:

Committee, as previously discussed, we need to define the model that will
help Pete in this situation as well as others.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

www.owasp.org <http://www.owasp.org/>

Cc: alison.shrader at owasp.org; peter.dean at owasp.org

I am copying Dan Cornell and Michael Coats on this idea as well.  One of the
items the Membership committee has frequently discussed is including
individual membership with corporate membership.

The main concern would really be the opportunity for companies to "stack a
vote" should one arise since membership is the main criteria for voting
rights.   I am all for giving individuals who are part of a corporate
supporter the "benefits" of membership, however, I would want to make sure
that the voting privelages are limited to paying individual members or the
"honorary" members.

This leads down an administrative path since we would need to differentiate
among all the different types.

So, in short, I'm for it and yes, it would work.  I would not give them any
"swag" but provide the company ways to help us recognize individual members.

Administrative challenges will be worked out.

peter.dean at aspectsecurity.com

<image001.png>

          Need information on Application Security?  Check out OWASP.ORG

--
Tom Brennan | OWASP Foundation
Global Board of Directors