[Owasp-board] [Global_membership_committee] FW: OWASP and JPMC

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Thu Dec 2 17:38:50 UTC 2010

Membership has a voting right to elections and direction of OWASP Foundation
and it a elective item of a individual to self associate with OWASP.  YES or
NO?

A corporate sponsor $5k can certainly donate more time, more money and more
resources in support of OWASP mission but should not be allowed to INFLUENCE
OWASP to reduced membership fees or obtain special perks that break the
membership model and equality around the world.

I do not feel that there is alignment of JPMC and our principals on this
one...  membership to owasp is not a regulatory compliance, auditor
requirement of a developer training program for ABC company at a discounted
price.  I am VERY close to this as well as other members of OWASP Board so
we need to measure twice here before cutting once and setting a game
changing adjustment and I suggest a discussion on this item.

15,000 people (aka:JMPC developer worldwide) = 750,000 in membership fees
got it -- if you don't share with the local chapters the agreed 40% of a
membership fee then your at $450,000 (and breaking the membership current
model)  snowball effect starts.

Is it about the money - I hope not.

--
Tom Brennan | OWASP Foundation