[Owasp-board] The Summit is ON (50k Approved)

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Mon Aug 30 20:42:28 UTC 2010

I support it if we can get the matching funding (the $100K) discussed below,
but I think that if we can't, we should seriously consider scaling back or
delaying the summit until we have enough participation from others to make
the cost affordable to OWASP   AND valuable to the participants at the same
time.

For example, I don't think we should hold it if we don't get any external
contributions, or very limited contributions, or some other clever idea on
how to get additional funds to help make the event a success.

We had a similar goal for the first summit, but ended up essentially footing
the entire bill. This one is being planned farther in advance, and I
hope/expect that we will have more success on the cost sharing end of
things. The trick is showing the value to the other contributors on the
value of their expenditure.

-Dave

From: Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
Date: 30 August 2010 13:32
Subject: [Owasp-board] 2011 Summit
To: OWASP Foundation Board List <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>

It has been proposed that we do not have the 2010 summit in DC and plan for
a Portugal type summit in 2011.  Dinis has a team of summit planners - all
have been active in conference planning.

We currently have $50 K in budget set aside for a 2010 summit.  I have
worked with Alison on this, and there is no problem with applying this $50K
to 2011 instead.

Dinis and his team have a planning meeting on Wednesday and have asked for
confirmation of this expense to move forward with the event.

Are there any objections to this expense?  Dinis will fill everyone in on
his plans.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403