[Owasp-board] The Summit is ON (50k Approved)

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Mon Aug 30 20:42:28 UTC 2010

I support it if we can get the matching funding (the $100K) discussed below,
but I think that if we can't, we should seriously consider scaling back or
delaying the summit until we have enough participation from others to make
the cost affordable to OWASP   AND valuable to the participants at the same


For example, I don't think we should hold it if we don't get any external
contributions, or very limited contributions, or some other clever idea on
how to get additional funds to help make the event a success.


We had a similar goal for the first summit, but ended up essentially footing
the entire bill. This one is being planned farther in advance, and I
hope/expect that we will have more success on the cost sharing end of
things. The trick is showing the value to the other contributors on the
value of their expenditure.




From: owasp-board-bounces at lists.owasp.org
[mailto:owasp-board-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of dinis cruz
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 3:07 PM
To: owasp-summit-2011 at lists.owasp.org
Cc: OWASP Foundation Board List
Subject: [Owasp-board] The Summit is ON (50k Approved)


OK Summit 2011 team

We just had majority vote on Kate's request below, so this means that we can
now know for sure that the Summit is going to happen in early 2011 and that
we have an initial budget of 50k USD to make it happen.

There is a LOT to do now, and a lot of issues we have to sort out ASAP (for
example we have a good oportunity next week at OWASP AppSec in Irvine to
present the 2011 Summit and we really should get the most out of it).

Lets work hard on the next couple weeks to finalize the operational plans
for the Summit so that we can go out there are get as much participants in
there as possible (which takes us to the issue that was also raised by the
Board (as with several of you in past calls) which is "is where we are going
to get the other 100k in sponsorship" (this is one of the key questions that
we need to answer in out plans, but I think the first sponsorship idea of
the 'Browser Day' is a great step on the right direction)).

Wednesday call will be an important meeting, so please try to make it (and
also invite who you think should be involved)

Btw, we need to add to http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011 a news
section   :)

Dinis Cruz

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
Date: 30 August 2010 13:32
Subject: [Owasp-board] 2011 Summit
To: OWASP Foundation Board List <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>

It has been proposed that we do not have the 2010 summit in DC and plan for
a Portugal type summit in 2011.  Dinis has a team of summit planners - all
have been active in conference planning.


We currently have $50 K in budget set aside for a 2010 summit.  I have
worked with Alison on this, and there is no problem with applying this $50K
to 2011 instead.


Dinis and his team have a planning meeting on Wednesday and have asked for
confirmation of this expense to move forward with the event.


Are there any objections to this expense?  Dinis will fill everyone in on
his plans.


Kate Hartmann

Operations Director


www.owasp.org <http://www.owasp.org/>  

Skype:  Kate.hartmann1


Owasp-board mailing list
Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/attachments/20100830/82563bd8/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the Owasp-board mailing list