[Owasp-board] (Proposal #2) 2 free passes for each training class at conferences + ASK to use empty slots

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Mon Aug 30 15:58:52 UTC 2010

Yes. But only if there is room in the class.

And yes, this is in addition to the 2 free slots.

Regarding budget, that's a good question, but I would think we'd be silly
not to pay $100 for as many leaders as we can get to come to a conference. I
also think the $100 might have to be adjusted for locale, so maybe it's only
$50 in Brazil for example.

Maybe we should try it without a specific budget for the first few events
and see how it goes?

-Dave

Cc: owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
class at conferences + ASK to use empty slots

sounds good lets give it a shot.  course material of course will not be
given away...

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Dave Wichers <dave.wichers at owasp.org>

I talked to Jeff and this is what we came up with to extend this idea.

#1 - We will require that each training provider give OWASP 2 free slots per
class.
#2 - We will 'ask' each training provider that OWASP be allowed to fill any
seats that are empty 14 days prior to the event with OWASP Leaders at no
cost to OWASP. Empty seats would be defined as any slots less than 20
(including our 2 'free' slots from #1).

We suspect that most vendors will agree to our request, and if enough do, we
might simply require it later for simplicity. I think we should try this for
6 months or a year and see how it goes.

All of this would of course depend on having a minimum # of paid students to
make offering the class worthwhile. I think whatever threshold date we set
to ask the vendor, "Hey you only have X students right now, do you want to
commit or withdraw the class?" Once that is done, that should be the date
(or soon after) that we start to allow OWASP leaders to fill empty seats.

I vote YES to this proposed modification.

-Dave

To: owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
at conferences

This proposal seems like a fine solution offering a good balance of the
competing issues.

I vote yes.

--
-- Matt Tesauro