[Owasp-board] (Proposal #2) 2 free passes for each training class at conferences + ASK to use empty slots

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Thu Aug 26 22:46:54 UTC 2010

Not sure what you mean by course materials not being given away.

Each 'free' student will be provided the full set of materials any normal
student would be provided, but OWASP would pay them $100 per student added
in this manner to cover material reproduction and other administrative
costs. I'm sure $100 is way more than what is absolutely necessary, but I
think that's a nice bone to throw the instructor for any unused slots we use
above the 2 free slots we are reserving for any class.

And it's well worth it to OWASP to spend $100 to get a leader to attend the
conference.

-Dave

#1 - We will require that each training provider give OWASP 2 free slots per
class.
#2 - We will 'ask' each training provider that OWASP be allowed to fill any
seats that are empty 14 days prior to the event with OWASP Leaders at no
cost to OWASP. Empty seats would be defined as any slots less than 20
(including our 2 'free' slots from #1).

We suspect that most vendors will agree to our request, and if enough do, we
might simply require it later for simplicity. I think we should try this for
6 months or a year and see how it goes.

All of this would of course depend on having a minimum # of paid students to
make offering the class worthwhile. I think whatever threshold date we set
to ask the vendor, "Hey you only have X students right now, do you want to
commit or withdraw the class?" Once that is done, that should be the date
(or soon after) that we start to allow OWASP leaders to fill empty seats.

I vote YES to this proposed modification.

-Dave

To: owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
at conferences

This proposal seems like a fine solution offering a good balance of the
competing issues.

I vote yes.

--
-- Matt Tesauro