[Owasp-board] Fwd: Samy's OWASP World Tour 2010

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Aug 25 21:17:09 UTC 2010

I think we should try to make sure we get a few things out of every tour:

.        Lots of publicity and energy globally

.        A standard introduction to anyone visting OWASP chapter for the
first time

.        A great talk about something cool

.        A call to action to join OWASP and do something cool

.        How to become a member!

--Jeff

From: Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl>
Date: 19 August 2010 19:58:39 GMT+01:00
To: Lorna Alamri <lorna.alamri at owasp.org>
Cc: dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org>
Subject: Re: Samy's OWASP World Tour 2010

Just learned I *will* be available 10/16, thus I can actually do a tour any
time between 9/20 and 10/21. Would be great to also make OWASP Germany since
this is the case.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Lorna,

Awesome! I would love to do a tour of western European countries/Nordic
countries if possible. Sweden, Poland, UK, Italy, etc between 9/20 and
10/14.

I'm seeing if I can possibly extend by a week in case we want to choose
later dates (to make OWASP Germany) but I'm waiting to hear back from
someone.

Thanks,

samy

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Lorna Alamri <lorna.alamri at owasp.org>
wrote:

Hi Samy,

Loved your presentation at DefCon and would be happy to help you get a world
tour of OWASP chapter meetings set up. We'd love to have you come speak in
Minneapolis for our AppSec day on Oct 8th if that works with your schedule.
We usually have 250+ attendees at this event. If you were looking for
something in September you could speak at our regular meeting but that's a
smaller group of around 50. We'd chauffer you around and have a place for
you to stay.  Did you have any specific cities you really want to hit on
your tour?  If you could give me a broad outline I can start from there and
fill in the details.

Lorna

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:

Sounds good,

Lorna, let's work together on a proposed tour schedule (we will be doing
this as part of the OWASP Connections Committee).

Dinis Cruz

On 19 August 2010 04:37, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

If we started 9/20, I would have almost four weeks entirely free,
potentially five. I'm waiting to hear back on something on 10/16...if it
isn't happening, maybe we can push the date a little forward and then I can
make OWASP Germany on 10/22. Only thing is I need to be back in LA by end of
day 10/22, so that may not be doable.

Do you think that would work? The only other time I have free is 11/1 -
11/15 which would be really tight and pushing it (would be leaving to Brazil
right after and coming from a week of cons the day before)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:

Sounds good (and yeah let's do Europe :)  )

What date do you want to start?

Dinis Cruz

On 19 August 2010 04:11, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Hmm...well, I assume I'd give the same presentation at each place, the "How
I Met Your Girlfriend" which seems to be a big hit. Any themes around that?
:)

Correct, I'm in the US (Los Angeles).

If it will be in the US, any major cities (except Los Angeles, they hear me
enough) will be good, also any cities in Canada would be great if we're
doing the US.

I would especially love to do Europe if they have funds / big OWASP
chapters. Specifically Sweden/Norway/UK/etc, but we can plan that for
another time if that's tough! That would also be a bit more flying I'm sure
and a longer trip, but I'm pretty open.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:

I actually live in the UK , you're  in the US right?

The cities are the ones where there is an OWASP chapter (and we could also
do a number outside of the US), 161 at last count
(http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Chapter), not all are active
and have budgets, but there is plenty of choice :)

Lorna will be taking care of you, so you two can start planning this :)

Lorna, can you start by looking at the chapters that have budgets and try to
create a proposed schedule (with maybe 3 presentations a week? (to give Samy
the extra day))

Samy, it would be good to have a 'theme' for this tour. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dinis Cruz

On 19 August 2010 03:49, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Congrats, welcome back!

Nice! This sounds cool! I'm also interested in visiting other countries, but
would still enjoy a week or two of traveling around the US visiting various
chapters to speak.

I'm finishing up a full time project by mid September so I wouldn't be able
to begin until late Sept or early October. I would be busy the last week of
October as well (speaking at LASCON, the Austin chapter of OWASP during the
last week though).

I'm happy to stay with OWASP'ers to keep costs down. I think 5-10 days would
be good, it would be nice to stay an extra day in the major cities in order
to get a little more out of them. What cities do you think would be good?

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:

well.... since you asked :)

Why don't you do a US tour just like the one I just completed today (I
arrived from the US this morning): see
http://diniscruz.blogspot.com/2010/08/owaspo2-us-tour-aug-9-17-6-cities-in-8
.html for more details.

Ok, you don't need to have the same aggressive schedule (5 cities in 5
days), and this time around you will probably even have a couple other OWASP
leaders joining you.

Regarding funding, the model would be that OWASP would cover all your travel
expenses since there are a number of local chapters that have funds
available.

Also, during my tour of the US , out of the 8 days I was there, I only
sleept two in hotels. You don't have to do that, but it is better for
OWASP's funds and it is actually more fun (since hotels are boring and the
OWASP crowd is usually very friendly)

So when do you want to do it?

Sep 2010? Shall we pencil it for after the OWASP AppSec USA? In fact you
could start your tour there :)

How many days/dates do you want to do? 5, 10, 15?

We can make it happen, and as I have just shown, it is easy to organize and
as long as the presenter has time, it is a great experience for all involved

Dinis Cruz

Blog: http://diniscruz.blogspot.com <http://diniscruz.blogspot.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DinisCruz
Web: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/O2

On 19 August 2010 00:42, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Hey Dinis,

Thanks so much for making this happen! I really appreciate all you guys are
doing for me. I'm confident the attendees will get some great information
and be well entertained!

That's awesome. I'm basically taking the next few months off and just
working on personal pet projects and speaking at various conferences. I
*really* have been enjoying speaking at conferences and the attendees seem
to be pretty happy, so I'm happy to speak anywhere. Really just trying to
arrange a full speaking schedule for the next few months and combine it with
some travel to see the world :)

If there are any other conferences (anywhere!) that you think would be a
good fit, please let me know! The only issue is unemployment doesn't allow
me to go wild in spending so I'm really only able to make most places if the
conference is able to support the airfare/stay or if I can get one
conference to happen to send my "return flight" to the next conference if
they're back-to-back.

Can't wait to catch up!

-samy

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:

Hey Samy (Dinis Cruz from the OWASP Board, we meet before on an OWASP
Conference)

I want to thank you for your effort in making this trip (i'm on the Brazil
organization team).

I also wanted to ask you that if you have other ideas on where you would
like to be involved at OWASP (projects, committees, chapters, conferences),
let me or Lorna (CCed) know and we will try to make it happen :)

Looking forward to catching up with you in Brazil

Dinis Cruz

On 18 August 2010 22:52, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Please let me know if you can send an invitation letter (assuming you can
have me out there!)

I'll need to get this quickly to acquire my passport -- I have an
appointment with an agency to acquire my passport on the 24th and they asked
for proof of travel, either with a letter or actual travel itinerary.

Thanks!

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Lucas Ferreira <lucas.ferreira at owasp.org>
wrote:

Officially, the decision can take up to Sep 8. Give me until next week, and
I'll try to have an answer for you.

Depending on your nationality, you may need to get a visa to enter Brazil.
You can check the nearest Brazilian Consulate here:
http://en.brazilny.org/index.php?/consulado/jurisdiction/ and check if you
need a visa here:
http://en.brazilny.org/index.php?/consulado/t_c/visa_requirements_by_country
/

If you need a visa, you may need an invitation letter. If this is the case,
please let me know.

Regards,

Lucas

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 20:00, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Submitted - only question I do have is when I would learn if the talk gets
accepted. I'll need to get my passport renewed and everything set up for
travel!

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Lucas, that's amazing! I will submit immediately.

Thank you so much! That's all for now :)

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Lucas Ferreira <lucas.ferreira at owasp.org>
wrote:

Hello Samy,

I just got the information that we CAN sponsor your hotel and air tickets.

Is there any other information I can help you with?

Regards,

Lucas

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 14:55, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Thanks!

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Lucas Ferreira <lucas.ferreira at owasp.org>
wrote:

Hello Samy,

at this moment, we can guarantee you up to 2 hotel nights. We are working to
be able to provide air travel as well, but this will depend on our revenue.

If you will need the conference to cover your expenses, please make it clear
on your proposal.

Regards,

Lucas

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 14:45, Samy Kamkar <samy at samy.pl> wrote:

Hello!

I would love to submit the CFP and present at AppSec Brasil, however I don't
work for any company or have anyone to sponsor my travel/hotel. Is this
something that could be covered by the conference?

Thanks!

Samy

--
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.