[Owasp-board] FW: Tix to Irvine

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Mon Aug 23 21:10:39 UTC 2010

Dinis,

I'm disappointed that you would accuse the board of not looking after the
OWASP Leaders.  The sarcasm undercuts your argument considerably.   I find
it ironic that you're using some rather inelegant sophistry to call us
sophists.  Plato is rolling in his grave.

> my fundamental problem with this thread is the fact

> that I'm having to justify what you call these 'perks'...

The essence of leadership is to be compelling about what you want to
accomplish. Our job on the board is to consider ideas like this carefully
and make good decisions.  If you want us to approve your nutcase ideas, then
convince us. That does not mean a long-winded rambling email.  Spend some
time to *craft* your argument. Think about Dave's objections in advance.
Make us share your vision.

To me this is a simple question of maximizing the use of our dollars in
accomplishing our mission.  Dinis is provocatively arguing that investing
this money in our leaders will grow OWASP.  Others are thinking that this
money could be better spent.

Now I'd appreciate it if we could get a little reality.  What do you think
the maximum cost to OWASP actually is?  Does anyone know if leaders pay to
attend classes?  I bet not too many.  I'm quite sure that NONE of the all
stars that Dinis listed would pay to take a class. So that leaves the cost
of leaders blocking out paying students. Most of our classes aren't totally
full, right?

This is a tempest in a teapot.  Let a few leaders fill empty seats in
classes for free.  We won't lose money and we get the benefit.

--Jeff