[Owasp-board] FW: Tix to Irvine

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Mon Aug 23 14:08:33 UTC 2010

Dinis,

Its less about a revenue source and more what OWASP can give away for
"free" vs what OWASP has to _pay_ to give away.  OWASP has to have
enough money to keep the lights on (and do cool things like the Summit)
so my concern is what are we not going to do if we do this.

Conference admission is virtually free
(I'm purposefully not going into any discussion of opportunity costs and
lost revenue but those do exist)

Training admission is NOT free.  Especially for those done by non-OWASP
organizations.  Intelligarians has done trainings at the AppSec
conferences to make money - period.  Before Trustwave employed me, the
training money I made was to pay for my travel and lodging for the
conference.

So if we are going to provide perks for OWASP leaders (which I think we
should always be looking for) we need to line up a few things:

(1) Ways to pay perks which cost OWASP the least (or are free)
(2) Ways to uniquely/consistently identify OWASP leaders
(3) Ways to be consistent in how we provide these perks

Examples:
(1) Maybe we could talk to O'Reilly publishing and get OWASP leaders,
say, 10% off O'Reilly titles.  Costs OWASP nothing but would be a nice perk.
(2) Do we have a hard, fast definition of who an OWASP leader is?  I
think Tom's work with Salesforce will help answer this once and for all.
(3) The other concern I have is this was an offer made to the chapter
leader of 1 chapter.  What about the other chapters?  Can the Gibraltar
chapter send a developer?  How about those in Asia/Pacific?  We need to
make sure that offers are good for all leaders and not have the
appearance of "who you know or where you are" influencing the perks you
receive.

board needs to make sure these are cost effective and evenly distributed.

Cheers!

--
-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP Board Member