[Owasp-board] OWASP Funding for ESAPI Project Manager

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Tue Apr 6 17:57:03 UTC 2010

Here are my thoughts on this proposed effort:

The ESAPI for Java project currently has over a dozen active contributors
and the five plus other ESAPI language specific projects have other
contributors as well.

Jim Manico has been an active contributor for the ESAPI for Java project for
several years and in the last six months or so has transitioned primarily
into the extremely important but less interesting and glorious roll as the
ESAPI for Java project manager/build wrangler. He is looking to transition
this role to another volunteer but finding such a volunteer who has the time
and expertise is very difficult. No one has stepped up in the past 3-4
months, for example.

I asked him if he would be willing to continue in this role at a more active
level if OWASP could provide a small amount of funding for this and he has
graciously offered to work 25 hours / month on this at $40 / hour, which is
an extremely discounted rate.

This role would not be to provide core technical contributions to ESAPI, but
rather to manage the project, support all the contributors, manage and
streamline the build/release process, etc. A small amount of funding here
can significantly enhance and ease the contributions of numerous volunteers.

Jim should be able to provide some level of support to the other ESAPI
language specific versions and help them all stay in sync with each other,
which would be extremely helpful as well.

This position could eventually serve as a model for providing similar more
specific project management support to other large OWASP projects.

If you are all OK with this, I can draft a statement to be sent to the
leaders list to this affect. I don't want to put this particular position up
for bid, but I think the concept is something we should consider funding for
other large projects if this seems to be successful.

-Dave