[Owasp-board] REQUEST FOR COMMENTS/RE: [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Honorary Individual Membership - Follow up.

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Wed Oct 28 16:02:10 UTC 2009

Committee,

Please see below - I am sending Mike’s draft response off. It goes without
saying, please cut, change or add it as you find best.

Also, I believe the type of questions Mike has posed probably show that in
our recent communications to the leaders’ mailing list we weren’t as
explicit as we should have been and so corrective action must be taken. If
you agree with this diagnosis maybe we can use at least parts of the
proposed Mike’s answer to globally deal with this issue.

Thanks,

Paulo

Hello Mike,

On the question of clarifying what is being requested, we were only asking
for information to establish who is entitled to be given an honorary
individual membership. At this very moment, with this purpose, we were
solely concerned with identifying who is performing the roles of current
leader, current contributor(s), former leader(s) and former contributor(s)
as in accordance with the rules previously divulged these are the positions
that will grant the honorary membership status.

However, I easily concede that our strategy to deal with issue may have been
not entirely clear. In fact, we probably shouldn’t have asked our community
to partially fill in a new template (the project details one) without
previously presenting and discussing the entire framework. Being so and
regretting the avoidable confusion this may have caused, I thank the
opportunity your questions pose for us to shed light on this issue.

To begin from the very beginning, being an outcome of our new Assessment
Criteria 2.0, we do see the new Project Details page/tab as tool to manage
projects and more importantly to assure all OWASP Projects make available a
set of data considered essential, as for example, licenses, attribution and
downloadable files.  Also, the Project Details page was thought to support
the assessment of both Projects and their releases. Finally, it goes without
saying, our ultimate goal is to have an updated Project Details tab linked
with the concordant Project Page.

What’s more, as you also may know, the OWASP Global Projects Committee has
been working, roughly since the beginning of this year, to stabilize both
Assessment Criteria 2.0 and its more visible outcome which is the referred
Project Details page. This task has proven to be a hard one. Actually when
we were confronted with the need for dealing with the honorary membership
urgent question we still had at least three issues to solve and the first
two of them configure the reasons that have prevented us from asking the
community to fill in all the template’s fields.

The first one concerns the Release template which works in articulation with
the Project Details one – we have already managed to simplify and to clean
up the latter but we still have a few operational questions to solve (mainly
design, automation and wiki code) regarding the former.

The second one is of a more operational nature – we hadn’t yet decided what
kind of approach we should use to make sure the data were carried into the
Project Details page. As far as I understood the question, we hadn’t decided
if we propose this task is to be assumed by the GPC or by the project
leaders or by both simultaneously.

The third reason is related with the question of project’s assessment. As
you may have realised our current methodology includes project and release
assessment and only the criteria do deal with the latter has been produced.

Thus, for the reasons above exposed, when we needed to sort out the question
of membership entitlement, we chose what seemed to be the shortest way to do
so which was only asking for sufficient data to deal with this confined
issue. Once again, we now see it was a mistake and shortly we will clarify
this issue in our mailing list.

Meanwhile, this being said, if you are already available to fill out the
Project Details pages of the projects with which you are engaged, it would
be appreciated. Of course, we will be here to discuss with you all the
operational issues that may arise.

I thank the time taken to read such a long email which I hope could have
helped to clarify your questions,

Regards,

Paulo Coimbra,

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP Project Manager