[Owasp-board] OWASP Day at DHS

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri Mar 6 00:54:50 UTC 2009

couple comments on "... It was suggested that by providing the video of the
conference free on line, folks are realizing that they don’t need to
attend.  We may want to reconsider the recent enthusiasm for providing these
free and on line..."

I have an absolute objection with this argument since it is is one of of
those arguments related to "... hey, people take our stuff for free and
don't pay us anything, so why don't we create an 'members only ' section of
OWASP.."

The conference videos have had tremendous value for OWASP and is something
that we should do more and more (in fact we should cover ALL major OWASP
conferences).

Some important points:

   - I don't think that the number of people who chose not to go to an OWASP
   conference this year because 'the videos will be online' is significant.
   There are a lot of reasons why people will chose NOT to go to an OWASP
   conference this year, but I don't think existence of videos will be the
   deciding factor
   - The value that our community gains from the videos far outweighs any
   possible loss
   - Remember that our role (as board members) is to maximize the financial
   resources we are given to by our members (and conference attendees). And in
   my book, if we invest 5k, 10k or 20k on videos and our community likes them
   and learns a lot from them, then that is a valuable investment
   - We should make this part of OWASP's world and have an 'official'
   strategy for video + post-production of our conferences and (bigger) chapter
   meetings. For example, why don't we encourage somebody (an individual or
   company) to submit a proposal about it on the next Season of Code 09
   - We also should explore the sale of DVDs with these videos. As long as
   the videos are available for free from the OWASP website, I don't see any
   problem with selling those DVDs (which for a company will actually be
   cheaper than to have 10 or 100 staff watching those videos online). I think
   we should outsource this and get somebody to handle everything and give
   OWASP a cut on every sale (in exchange for a direct link from
   www.owasp.org)

Dinis