[Owasp-board] Summit date : October or January

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Feb 9 23:38:43 UTC 2009

We just finished the GPnT call and here are the main points related to the
Summit:

   - January is a good time since :
      - it gives some more time for the projects to complete (SoC 10
      deadline is the US conference, so it will be Nov 09)
      - it is a slow month, so it should be easier for people to attend
      - it allow us to set the Agenda for 2010 at the Summit, and maybe even
      release a couple of Key projects there (OWASP Top 10 2010?)

      - Regarding the location, the proposed location is the same as last
   year (St.Eulalia, Algarve, Portugal), since
   - We have all logistical issues sorted out (Travel, Hotel, Food,
      Conference facilities, Cost per person, etc...)
      - It fits our budget (2000 USD per head for ALL expenses)
      - Paulo and me (Dinis) will take responsibility for it
      - Allows us to build on the media/university relationships we created
      last year and aim to have much bigger local, European and
WorldWide coverage
      - Given the importance of the Summit, we can't afford for any major
      logistical problems, so any proposal for hosting it elsewhere needs to:
         - Have the personal backing and involvement of a Board Member (and
         the Projects and Tools Committee since the Summit is in
partly 'owned' by
         that Committee)
         - Be made by an organization team with proven track record in
         organizing OWASP Conferences
         - Contain detailed analysis of :
            - Summit Costs (so that the average conference attendee cost is
            2000 USD)
            - Travel plans for the multiple geographical locations that the
            participants will travel from (note that the plan for the
next Summit in
            Portugal is to only have flights to Lisbon and have the
travel agency
            arrange for them to get to the venue by Car/Bus/Train. We
are also going to
            be able to book the flights much earlier so we should be
able to get good
            flights.This time around the priority will be to minimize
the travel time of
            the participants)
            - Confirmation that most (possible) attendees can travel to that
            location

            - Note that I have no problem in hosting a Summit in Brazil (I'm
         the first one to want to go there :) ), BUT, remember that
most of those
         dots were placed by the brazilian guys, and that whoever
wants to host it
         there must come up with the detailed analysis I mentioned
above. So If there
         is serious motivation to do it there, then let them present
their plans at
         the next summit.

         - One interesting idea that was discussed was *to host 1 or 2 days
   of meetings at the next OWASP US conference (and maybe even the next one in
   EU)*. In the US, we could use this time to have: a) Presentations about
   the completed SoC 10 projects, b) Committee's meetings and c) several
   Working Sessions on relevant topics (remember that the OWASP US/EU
   conferences are usually atended by very well respected AppSec people)
      - These meetings would have the same format as the Summit, and could
      occur on the Training days.
      - As a practical example of the value of these sessions, since most
      Summit participants will also be at this conference, we should spend a
      couple hours with them to prepare the Summit work scheadule/agenda (since
      now we know we CAN work at OWASP Summits, we need to make sure
we maximize
      our productivity while we are together during that week)

Dinis Cruz