[Owasp-board] REQUEST FOR COMMENTS/FW: New Static Analysis Tool - "Yasca"

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Thu Oct 23 15:50:16 UTC 2008

I don't have any objections. Do we have any other code analysis tools that
compete with this? I think we do, and so we should try to get them to
coordinate / work together.

In fact, anytime we have multiple tools in the same category, we should try
to get them to work together.

-Dave

To: paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Cc: 'Michael.scovetta at gmail.com'
Subject: New Static Analysis Tool - "Yasca"

Hi Paulo,

I've written a new static analysis tool and would like to include it among
the other OWASP projects. I've been involved with OWASP/NYC and plan to
submit a presentation for upcoming conferences. Here is my quick
introduction to Yasca. A PPT will be coming out soon.

---

Yasca is a new static analysis tool designed to scan Java, C/C++,
JavaScript, .NET, and other source code for security and code-quality
issues. Yasca is easily extensible via a plugin-based architecture, so
scanning PHP, Ruby, or other languages is as simple as coming up with rules
or integrating external tools.

Yasca includes plugins for the following open-source projects:

     * FindBugs (http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/)

     * PMD (http://pmd.sourceforge.net/)

     * Jlint / antiC (http://artho.com/jlint/)

Yasca also features a simple regular-expression plugin that allows new rules
to be written in less than a minute. It includes many custom rules created
specifically for Yasca, and additional rule-packs will be released soon.

Yasca is hosted on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/yasca) with
additional information at http://yasca.org.

Thank you,

Mike Scovetta