[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] Local Chapter $$

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Tue Oct 14 14:30:03 UTC 2008

This is really good - nice work.

--Jeff

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org
[mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Tom Brennan -
OWASP
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 8:53 PM
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Subject: [Owasp-leaders] Local Chapter $$

**ATTENTION CHAPTER LEADERS WORLDWIDE **

It is now official, local chapters have been asking for a way to process
money at local chapter for local meetings and OWASP Foundation has
implemented a solution for your chapter and it is NOW on your local chapter
WIKI home page.

BACKGROUND/PROBLEM

=====================

Local chapters were struggling with the issue of collecting of funds from
individuals and/or supporting corporate sponsors to buy food, refreshments,
shirts, hats, open bar what ever.  Local chapters leaders did not want to
deal with conflict of interest issues and wanted a separation of duties from
handling money that was "earmarked" for OWASP Foundation.  Local Chapters
want to focus on the content of the meetings and having fun - "this is in
our spare time"

Another issue: When vendors wanted to "sponsor"  a local event they would
assume that they would write check to "OWASP Foundation" or "OWASP <Local
Chapter> --- Some chapters also started to alert me that they could not
process checks for OWASP Chapter <XYZ> at the local bank (even with deposit
only) and many started to research the creation of their own 501(3)c
non-profit and other ways to keep the USA's IRS and local country government
happy (taxes).   They quickly found out that this was to much work and had
annual costs and other legal requirements.

SOLUTION

=========

We created a non-profit account with PayPal  (
<http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/use/index_frame-outside&e
d=nonprofit>
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/use/index_frame-outside&ed
=nonprofit ) for OWASP Foundation (that is for ALL OF US WORLDWIDE)  and
rolled out a non-editable area of the wiki to include a "donate now" button
(yea I know you're a uber web hacker. we take checks too)  This money will
now be "earmarked" for your local chapter.

Just as many of us do each month in our commercial worlds, OWASP Foundation
will now process expense reports with receipts from listed designated local
chapter leader(s) on the chapter page and if they are listed as the
administrative mailing list for reimbursement within 45 days of receipt.
Reimbursement will be handled by Kate and Alison OWASP Foundation employees
see:
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Contact#Employees_of_the_OWASP_Foundation>
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Contact#Employees_of_the_OWASP_Foundation

We have piloted this solution with several chapters in alpha and it works.
Together let's beta this worldwide and keep track of what works and what can
be better.

#1 CLICK ON : http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Chapter

#2 Find you local chapter

#3 Notice button.... donate $1.00 to your own chapter go ahead...  come'on
give it a try

==========

<FAQ>

Q. If we take in $1000 dollars and the costs are only $825 what happens to
the balance?

A. That money is in the "pot" for YOUR local chapter - submit a receipt to
get reimbursed or let it add up for future event or expense.

 ==

Q. Do I have to use this method of handling cash in the name of OWASP
Foundation.

A.  No, This is an option for your local chapter and a way to have a payment
method unified globally and for OWASP Foundation to determine if you have an
active chapter. We can also centrally aquire items (shirts/hats/books
etc...) and ship/drop ship to your local chapter to help you grow.

 ==

Q. We host our local OWASP chapter meeting at a web application security
commercial vendor facility and they pay for the food and refreshments to
have exclusive access to sell and market commercial services and products to
OWASP members that show up.. oh yea and all of the chapter leaders also work
for that same company and there are no other board members.

A. As a non-profit that does not endorse any commercial product or service
should we be encouraging this type of local chapter?  I would suggest a
review of the Chapter leader handbook
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Chapter_Leader_Handbook  A min., of (2) board
members of a local chapter and attempt to locate a 3rd party meeting
location such as a university or industry organization that will allow you
to utilize the space to support OWASP and raise security awareness - drop
the sales pitch and go back to our technical roots of communication and
collaboration with industry peers.  If you attend a meeting and get a sales
pitch - email owasp at owasp.org about it.

==

Q. If local chapter has a local commercial sponsor that wants to sponsor
OWASP Foundation for the year do they process corporate membership or
regional individual membership online using this method?

A. You can. The OWASP Foundation will then simply track the activity from
your local chapter that resulted in the new member OR you can direct them to
the official membership page for full details at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership

</FAQ> ;)

If someone has a better, faster solution we all would be happy to discuss it
at the Portugal event at the Governance working session
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_EU_Summit_2008  or call me at
973-202-0122  anytime to discuss governance related issues to make OWASP
Foundation a better experience for our growing membership and community.  If
your interested on other things that we are working on you are welcomed to
view the many items we work on each month at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Meetings

For financial data such as tax returns, balance sheets etc concerning OWASP
Foundation you can find them online @
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Foundation

Our mission is to make application security "visible," so that people and
organizations can make informed decisions about application security risks.
As a VOLUNTEER organization EVERYONE is free to participate in OWASP and all
of our materials are available under a free and open software license.

Finally, special thanks to Kate Hartman, Alison Shrader, Larry Casey, Dave
Wichers, Steve Antoniewicz  and Kate Hartman in working together to get this
solved for local chapters.

Semper Fi,

Tom Brennan

OWASP Foundation - Global Board Member, Governance

Tel: 973-202-0122 (mobile phone)  / tomb at owasp.org