[Owasp-board] Fwd: (OWASP non-profit org in France)

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Sun Mar 23 10:58:26 UTC 2008

See thread below about Sebastien's the idea of setting up a non-profit OWASP
"Association Loi 1901".

(due to the recent change of email addresses, the original forward from me
to the owasp board alias bounced back)

From: "Dinis Cruz" <dinis at ddplus.net>

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:58:00
To:"PETIT Ludovic" <ludovic.petit at fr.sfr.com>
Cc:"Andrew van der Stock" <vanderaj at owasp.org>, board at owasp.fr, "OWASP
Foundation Board List" <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>

Hi Ludovic,

Thanks for your email and I will try to answer your queries (Jeff's probably
also missed the urgency of your email due to it's lack of subject :)  )

At the moment there is NO official OWASP 'local chapters organization model'
and no financial agreements between the OWASP central and local chapters
(this is something we have talked about a lot, but have not yet implemented
our ideas (for example the 'OWASP points' model which would allow local
chapters to 'buy' certain materials/services from OWASP.org)).

This is an area where we are still trying to figure out the best way to
handle this situation and to balance the needs of the local chapters and the
OWASP  mothership. Part of it was lack of a real need to do it, so if you
(France) are really committed to this, maybe now is the time to move forward
at a faster speed.

One question I would like to ask is why is there such a need (to create a
local (i.e. french) non profit OWASP organization)? Are there financial
requirements? or financial incentives to do so? Is that something that your
local attendees want? Do you need it for legal reasons?

Although from the point of view of the OWASP board we don't want to do
anything that will slow down the development and evolution of local OWASP
chapters, we also don't want a situation where there are 10s or 100s of
local 'non profit' organizations around the world (each with a different
model, structure, rules, etc...).

I'm not saying that that route (local 'non profit' organizations for local
chapters) is not a very viable option, it is just that we need to make sure
that everything makes sense.

For reference, Andrew is not on the OWASP board any more, and the current
OWASP board members are: Me, Jeff, Dave, Tom (New York Chapter leader) and
Sebastien (Belgium Chapter leader).

Tom (from NY) actually has the role within the OWASP board of 'OWASP
Governance' and he is trying to create a model for local chapters. He is
also the leader of the most successful OWASP chapter (NY) which is the
chapter with the biggest management structure. The idea for Tom to share how
the NY chapter is organized and see how that can be used on other chapters.

One idea, what about creating a 'region' organization instead of one per
chapter. What I mean is that the current US non profit OWASP organization
could handle all American chapters (north and south),  we could create one
for the EU, and one of APAC?

Would that work for you? (having one 'non profit' for the whole of the EU?
(maybe (or not) based in France))

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist

http://www.owasp.org <http://www.owasp.org>

On 3/21/08, PETIT Ludovic <ludovic.petit at fr.sfr.com <mailto:
ludovic.petit at fr.sfr.com> > wrote:

Hi Andrew and Dinis

I forward 'cause I suppose that Jeff is currently busy, but w need to take a
decision in France to officialize the status of the French Chapter in the
coming days.

Could you please help and tell us how to deal about the membership item for
the French Chapter.

Thanks.
Ludovic