[Owasp-board] (for review, email to google) Re: Google Summer of Code Submission!

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Wed Mar 12 17:53:11 UTC 2008

ok guys,  here is the email that we propose to send to Leslie and Chris
(quick note, today's deadline is to become a hosting organization, not
sponsorship applications)

Leslie Hawthorn,  lhospo at gmail.com (Program Manager - Open Source, Google
Inc.)
Chris DiBona, cdibona at gmail.com (Open Source Programs Manager, Google)

Any other contacts we should send this to?

----------

Hello Chris and Leslie (got your details from
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile).

I'm Dinis Cruz and I am representing the OWASP (Open Web Application
Security Project) who I hope you have come across before (I think me and
Chris swapped same emails a couple years ago).

OWASP is focused on Web Application Security and you can see more details
about us on our website http://www.owasp.org (
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP). OWASP manages  numerous Open
Source projects (http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project) and
is represented through the world via our chapters (
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Chapter) and regular
conferences (http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_AppSec_Conference).
We also recently started publishing (as books) the best documents created by
the OWASP documentation projects: http://stores.lulu.com/owasp

Although OWASP is a non-for-profit organization, we use the revenue
generated by our conferences and our member's fees (
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership#Current_OWASP_Members) to support
Open Source and OWASP projects with a sponsorship similar to your's Google
Summer of Code.

In the last two years we have successful managed two OWASP Seasons of Code:

   - OWASP Spring of Code
2007<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Spring_Of_Code_2007>-
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Spring_Of_Code_2007 (SpoC 07), in
   which 21 projects were sponsored with a budget of US$117,500,

   - see
      http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Spring_Of_Code_2007_:_Selectionfor
a project list & 'sponsorship value'  and
      http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Spring_Of_Code_2007_-_Projectsfor
the final deliverables

      - OWASP Autumn of Code
2006<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Autumn_Of_Code_2006>-
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Autumn_Of_Code_2006 (AoC 06), in
   which 9 projects were sponsored with a budget of US$20,000.

Earlier this month, we launched our 3rd sponsorship initiative called the
OWASP Summer of Code 2008:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Summer_of_Code_2008

Final comment on this OWASP introduction. Using help obtained via Google
employees we meet at past OWASP conferences, we have started to move some of
OWASP's infrastructure to Google's web based services (owasp.org email for
example is now hosted at mail.google.com/a/owasp.org and some OWASP's
projects are now using Google Code). In fact our last US conference was
originally supposed to be hosted at Google's HQ, but it was logistically not
possible, so we ended up at Ebay's.

So, here are the questions that I would like to ask you:

   - Given that OWASP already has a fully mature sponsorship program,
   would it be possible to (for the most suitable proposals) to use a Google's
   Summer of Code sponsorship for the same project sponsored by the OWASP
   Summer of Code 2008? (we usually give sponsorships between $2,500 and
   $5,000).

   - Although we put no limitations to the type of application that can
   be submitted, for the current initiative we are being more specific and are
   encouraging projects that fit areas we fell need to be addressed (see
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Request_for_Proposal_List for a
   list of those projects/areas). Clearly some of these are major activities
   which require as much resources as possible working on them. Hence it would
   be very beneficial if we could co-sponsor the successful applications.

   - We try to be as transparent as possible with our selection criteria
   (see
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Summer_of_Code_2008#Jury_and_Selection_Criteria).
   So as part of the applications' requirements we have mandated the public
   posting of all applications (see here for the first proposals for the
   current initiative (
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Summer_of_Code_2008_Applications,
here for the final list of the previous one
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Spring_Of_Code_2007_Applications)
   . After selection (by the OWASP board) all selection data will be published
   here:
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Summer_0f_Code_2008_:_Selection
      - so if we are to work together, do you want to also receive,
      rate and select the projects to sponsor, or do you want to re-use the
      choices made by OWASP?

      - Can you advise us what is the best route forward?

   - Should OWASP apply has an organization? (
      http://code.google.com/soc/2008/org_signup.html)
      - Should OWASP help our applicants with a similar submission to
      the Google Summer of Code?

      - Another interesting area in which we could work together would
   be the  sponsorship of a couple projects  focused on the security of
   Google's Summer of Code projects. Part of OWASP's efforts is to educate the
   developer community on secure coding best practices (see for example
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Top_Ten_Project and
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Testing_Project) and
   since the participants of the Google Summer of Code are the next generation
   of developers, there are lots of  synergies that could be leveraged from
   OWASP/Google projects

   - Finally, due to OWASP enormous growth over the last year, our
   current digital infrastructure needs to be reviewed, and given Google's move
   into providing such services (from web hosting, to email, to mailing lists,
   to document management, etc...) we would also like to talk to Google about
   the type of commercial services that Google can provide to OWASP.

Thanks for your time, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you need
further details or clarifications.

Best regards

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist