[Owasp-board] Proposed OWASP Week Packs

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Tue Mar 11 10:25:57 UTC 2008

Sebastien, remember that 'having a choice on the books to order' is exactly
the 'OWASP points model' so that is what they will have in the future (heck
they could already have that TODAY, if they asked for it :)  )

The problem here, is on the difference between 'something is possible' and
'something happens'

What I found (by experience) is that our responsibility as OWASP central is
to:

  - show WHAT is possible  =  ('OWASP books exist')
  - show HOW it can happen    = ('You can receive OWASP books and give it to
your chapter meetings participants!')
  - pro-actively execute it so that people believe in the first two items
above (the WHAT and HOW)  =  ('Here is a pile of book, distribute it, and
once your finished with it, let's talk about the next batch')

Remember that 'ordering' (or receiving) this goodies pack is just one step
(of many) that the local chapter's leader(s) need to solve (from storage, to
transportation ,to fair distribution to meeting participants, to collection
of next batch of orders, etc....)

The bottom line is that what we (OWASP board) need to do, is to kick-start
the process and get the momentum going.

Because if we don't do that, nothing happens!!!

We have countless cases of 'things' that COULD happen but never do without
central intervention and push. For example: OWASP books distribution, OotM
travels, Chapter's collaborating with each other, member packs, etc...

Another important point is to clearly distinguish between mature
'activities' (like OWASP conferences) , semi mature activities (OWASP
projects, Seasons of Code) and very immature activities (OotM, OWASP week,
OWASP books, etc...)

The rules and focus must be different depending on the maturity level. So
for the 'immature' ones we should be focusing on what we need to do to
kickstart it, and not the problems that might occur if somebody abused that
'immature' initiative (our track record shows that the level of abuse of
OWASP immature initiatives is very low).

Our (OWASP) problem today (in my point of view) is not abuse from our
community, is LACK of participation from that community (which is why we are
sitting on 200k USD in the bank)

So back to the books and chapters, the bottom line is that IF we don't send
these packs to the chapters that participate, NOTHING will happen for a
while.

And look at how disappointing the chapter uptake on the OWASP week is? We
have 100+ chapters but we will lucky if 10 or 15 participate!

Finally, part of my strategy of having the 'chapter goodies packs (with
books & other bit)' is to show the chapters that IT is possible for OWASP
central to send them these materials, and hopefully kickstart the discussion
of local chapter 'OWASP points' and finances.

So, I say, lets create these packs (hopefully still on time for the OWASP
week) and try to get as many participating chapters as possible.

Dinis