[Owasp-board] OotM Rules

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Fri Mar 7 14:28:29 UTC 2008

I actually think that OWASP conferences can create their own travel budgets
and pay for this themselves. That said, I think those budgets should follow
similar rules as far as per person payments. The budget for such travel
wouldn't need to come from OotM funds.

The conferences routinely pay for travel expenses by the board members to
attend the conference (1 perk of being on the board). However, usually the
board members in question (me and Dinis primarily) are also teaching at the
conference and so our travel would be paid since we are an instructor as
well.

For conferences, we generally don't pay the travel expenses of speakers, but
occasionally we need to attract one or two individuals, or maybe more, by
helping them with travel and I think that is OK. We just need to try to
avoid making it routine.

As far as conferences funding OotM, I think they should pay for their own
travel expenses as that way we can calculate the financial results all
together.

The conferences do effectively help fund OotM since they have been our
biggest revenue source, but that is starting to be eclipsed by membership
money, which is great. Although Tom is going to show them up this year with
OWASP NYC :-)

-Dave