[Owasp-board] FW: Google Summer of Code 2008

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Mon Mar 3 19:30:24 UTC 2008

Sponsoring OWASP projects, not OWASP in general.

I think we should encourage people to sign up for Google and SoC, and then
if they get accepted by Google, we should look at the size of the effort. If
the Google $ is enough, then they simply get the money from Google, if they
have big ambitious, then both OWASP and Google can pay. Its also possible
that Google would accept them and we wouldn't so this is an additional
source of funding for people interested in OWASP project support.

OWASP itself, on the behalf of our interns or something, might want to
submit a proposal for supporting/updating/revamping the OWASP site, but I'm
not sure if Google would sponsor something like that. However, we can make
it a 'project' rather than a 'site update'. Anything that works to try to
better tie together the content at OWASP would fit in this category of
project in my opinion.

-Dave

To: dave.wichers at owasp.org
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2008

Google Summer of Code 2008 is on! Over the past three years, the program
has brought together over 1500 students and 2000 mentors from 90 countries
worldwide, all for the love of code. We look forward to welcoming more new
contributors and projects this year. We'll begin accepting applications
from mentoring organizations on Monday, March 3, 2008, and student
applications on Monday, March 24th.