[Owasp-board] Affiliation issue

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Wed Jun 25 19:19:00 UTC 2008

Could we approach them to sign on as a corporate sponsor?  I'm not really
clear on what "affiliation" means in this case.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-575-0189

To: jeff.williams at owasp.org
Subject: Affilation issue

Jeff,

Our Minneapolis chapter affiliated with the Upper Midwest Security Alliance
which is composed of the local ISACA, InfraGard and other groups. Before we
affiliated I asked if this UMSA group was a non-profit organization and they
said they were. Now, it turns out that they are not. Even though, they had
confirmed so previously. I said that OWASP can only affiliate with other
non-profit groups as stated by you in previous emails and in the OWASP
website.  They are asking me to check with OWASP founders, if we can make an
exception. I have already told them what the rules are and I want to keep
them that way. I am pro open source and giving others the opportunity and
resources at no cost. I don't really want to contribute to a model where
they are focused on making a profit because I really think it deviates our
purpose and allows vendors to be more influential in decision making.

I have a decision already made but thought I should consult you before
excluding OWASP from these affiliated group.

Thanks for your time. Sincerely,

--
Kuai Hinojosa
OWASP (MSP) Chapter Leader