[Owasp-board] Fwd: First round creative on Book Cover Design Series

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Tue Jun 17 10:48:54 UTC 2008

My opinion is that the pictures are busy and distracting.  I prefer the
uncomplicated presentation of the graphic.  The last set of designs seem to
be very appropriate.  There is brand recognition with the logo and it
doesn't distract me from the information on the cover (name, author, etc).

Just my thoughts.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-575-0189

From: Deb Brewer <deb at lxstudios.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM
To: Dinis Cruz <dinis at ddplus.net>

Hi Dinis!

Hope all is well with you and yours over the pond. I have not copied anyone
else on these book covers, perhaps you'd like to review first? I can send to
the team at any time, just let me know...

We've been having a great time on this project. Attached please find a low
resolution PDF with the initial design ideas. We have laid out 3 covers for
each concept "Alpha", "Beta" and "Release". I am going to wait on the fourth
book cover until after I receive your comments on this first pass.

Here is the background on each of the concepts:

Concept 1:
This idea stems from taking a process in nature that has stages. We chose
using a sunflower because a WASP is attracted to a flower. As you see the
first one is a seed, the second is a sprout and the third is a full blown
sunflower. Visually it's strong positive and knowing that securities can be
dangerous and complicated, this really works.

Concept 2:
This idea shows the the progression of flying. An ant crawls, a grasshopper
hops and a butterfly flies. All in the genre of the wasp. The bright, fresh
colors are eye-catching and aide this organic concept in looking
progressive.

Concept 3:
This idea is straight-up, evolution/metamorphosis of a butterfly. The
butterfly goes through 3 stages and in the end comes out a beautiful
creation. The compilation book could potentially be a combination of all
three stages. This concept could be executed in a less photographic and more
graphic approach (like your logo symbol).

Concept 4:
This idea shows the evolution of the content as it relates to the OWASP
identity. It does a good job promoting the company and also entices the
reader into thinking there's 'more to come'. I do like this version as the
Alpha cover looks a bit less designed - this was a challenging 'un-design'
project to pull off! If you are interested in this concept approach, I will
want to show more iterations of it. The large circle (may be a bit big) is a
good concept as it will follow through to our other marketing materials. We
could also further differentiate the evolution of this concept by color
coding the wasp.

Please let me know if you'd like to review. I look forward to hearing from
you!

My best,
Deb

LXstudios inc.