[Owasp-board] FW: OWASP Chapter Pack

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri Jun 13 18:33:12 UTC 2008

Hi Kare, Dinis Cruz here (I was also with Paulo at the 'OWASP booth' we
set-up at the Polish CONFidence and OWASP's belgium conferences)

We actually left everything that was no sold/distributed behind in Belgium,
so unless Sebastien kept the OWASP banners we had there, everything went
back to the US.

For your OWASP booth, from the experience gained on the ones we recently
did,  here is what I think you need:

  - OWASP branded materials - The minimum you should have are the banners we
had in Belgium, but ideally we should  use this opportunity to create an
'OWASP conference roadshow kit' (see notes at the end of this email).

  - OWASP books: you will need at least 5x copies of most OWASP books (see
http://stores.lulu.com/owasp), about 15x of the 'Top 10 Testing Guide &
Legal' book and 15x of the Code Review one.

   I would recommend that you sell the books during the conference and give
what is left to key contacts and other members of the local OWASP chapter.
If all goes well you will have the same problem we had: you will run out off
stock (i.e. if you are not careful you will sell all books). SO what we did
was to tell people that they could pay NOW and we (OWASP) would later ship
AT NO COST the books to them  .

  - Paper forms:
      * Receipts for Book purchaes
      * OWASP Books price list and book order form (me and paulo created a
template which I will send you later)
      * OWASP 'Individual' Membership forms - 100USD  (for people who want
to join on the spot)

 - 50x DVDS with the OWASP website and tools. You can give these away and
show them on 1 or 2 laptops (Eoin has the latest version which is looking
pretty good)

  - misc OWASP goodies: 20 T-Shirts & 20 pens  - An idea to allocate the
tshirts is to give them to the people who buy the books (but of course you
can be flexible with this, and allocate them as you feel is more required).

Note that the goal here is not to make money (the books are sold at the same
price lulu charges us), the only reasons we have to charge is to cover some
of the costs, and to allow a fairer distribution of these materials.

On the topic of the 'OWASP conference roadshow kit', I would like to ask you
(Kare) if you have time and energy to make it happen. We have lots of ideas
for it, AND have the money to pay for its design and production. What we
need is somebody that takes the responsibility to make it happen :)

And this 'kit' is very needed for OWASP, for example me and Paulo are going
to go to the OWASP Conference in India (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSec_India_Conference_2008#Day_One_.5BConference_Program.5D:__Wednesday_20th_August.2C_2008)
and It would be great to have this 'OWASP conference roadshow kit' in there

Kate, from a logistics point of view, can you organize with Kare a full list
of what needs to be sent, so that you can order it and ship it (note that in
Belgium there were some issues at the Customs because not all items where
declared).

Dinis