[Owasp-board] Outreach stuff

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Jun 4 19:27:00 UTC 2008

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all the great work.  We don't have much guidance on working with
the press, but it's a damn good idea.  If you think of some general
principles/rules/guidelines, how about sketching them out in a wiki page.
I'm sure all the project leaders and chapter leaders could use the advice.
It might even spur them to reach out more if the rules weren't unclear.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, you're right it's a bit dangerous.  Here's
the approach I'd like to use with both them, Adobe, Sun, IBM, etc.  They can
contribute content if they like, but they should clearly disclose the source
and recognize that anything they post is subject to be completely changed.
We will remove any unsubstantiated statements and product promotion.
Ultimately, I want OWASP to provide clear, easy to use guidance on how to
use different technologies securely.

But there's a huge upside for Microsoft to be involved with OWASP.
Especially with a strong advocate like Curphey on the inside there.  I
wouldn't worry about them overwhelming us - they're more likely to not do
much of anything.  But perhaps they'll donate some of their security
guidance share data.  Great.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair

 <http://www.owasp.org/> The OWASP Foundation

work: 410-707-1487

main: 301-604-4882

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_NYC_AppSec_2008_Conference> OWASP
AppSec NYC 2008 is coming...  are you ready?