[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] To advertise the launch of OWASP Summer of Code2008

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Fri Feb 29 10:42:15 UTC 2008

We definitely should have a list of projects that we directly request
proposal for.

The current SoC 08 page points to
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Funds_available_for_OWASP_Projects#Available_Projectswhich
has the ones with current funding (Paulo can you chase the contacts
from those three companies to make sure this funding request is still valid
and they are still interested in this (I suspect that some of them have
expired since we couldn't find a success applicant for it))

On the SpoC 07 I created this page which contain a bunch of ideas:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Spring_Of_Code_2007_Project_Ideas  ,
Jeff do you want to reuse some of them (It might be good to provide some
idea of how much budget we could (depending on proposal) allocate to those
ideas).

The other thing we must do is to kick start the process of mapping
membership money to SoC projects (I think we should make a bit more noise
about that idea since it is a great membership driver). Like SpoC 07 we
start SoC 08 with 100k USD from OWASP and would be great to get to 150k USD
or 200k USD of allocated sponshorships (based on past experience we can err
on the side of over allocating projects since there is a natural 20% of non
project completion (which we don't pay for, so there is no risk for OWASP))

Alison, can you list for us all members that have joined in (or renewed
their membership in 2008? Thanks)

Another note for Paulo, there is already one project approved for SoC 08
which is Leo's Honeycomb revamp (which will result in a book)

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist
http://www.owasp.org