[Owasp-board] (Budget decision required) Fwd: Fwd: PDF for print: the OWASP Testing Guide

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Tue Oct 23 01:14:22 UTC 2007

Hi Dinis,

Sorry for not getting back to you.  I did discuss this with both Dave and
Andrew.  I'm just so ridiculously busy these days.  Anyway, I think there's
some real skepticism that printing these books is the best way to use our
money.  However, I do think it's high time we tried printing *something*
just to see how it's received.  So here's what I propose.

I think we should print *one* of the documents for the conference - either
one I don't care.  And I think this should be treated as an experiment.  In
fact, it would be really good to attach some kind of notice to the front
that says that the book is intended to be *VIRAL*  People should pass the
copy along to someone who doesn't currently get appsec but should.

The printing costs seem a bit high for the Top Ten aren't they?  It's only
30 pages or something why is it $10.  And would it make sense to get it
printed right in San Jose so we don't have to ship it around the world?  I
think we should see what the shipping costs are actually going to be before
we go ahead with this.

Thoughts?

--Jeff

From: Jacek Artymiak <  <mailto:jacek at devguide.net> jacek at devguide.net>
Date: Oct 10, 2007 3:28 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: PDF for print: the OWASP Testing Guide
To: Dinis Cruz < dinis at ddplus.net <mailto:dinis at ddplus.net> >
Cc: Jacek Artymiak < jacekartymiak at gmail.com>, Yiannis Pavlosoglou <
yiannis at owasp.org <mailto:yiannis at owasp.org> >

Dinis Cruz pisze:
> So the cost is about 13,3 USD per book right?
It's 10 USD or 25% of the cover price, whichever is greater.

> Does it matter how big it is?
Yes, is does. There are three components of the price: the base price
set by the printer, a page-count dependent component, and my constant
markup.

> As a reference the /OWASP top 10 2007 /is ~ 35 pages and the OWASP
> Testing Guide is ~ 272 pages (in the current pdf format)
10 usd
12,50 usd

> Also what is your experience in the shipping costs? How much more
> should we expect that to be?

Where do I ship the book? US? Which state? UK? London?

Kind regards,

Jacek Artymiak
devGuide.net ltd

<mailto:matteo.meucci at gmail.com>  matteo.meucci at gmail.com>>>