[Owasp-board] San Jose 2007 / NYC World C0N 2008

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at greebo.net
Fri Oct 5 20:36:18 UTC 2007

All,

Sorry for being offline so much recently - working too hard, baby on
the way, yada yada yada yada. I'm looking into "Getting Things Done"
to help with improving my work-life balance and improving my out of
hours productivity, as I am expecting life to not get simpler for me,
quite the opposite in fact once baby does arrive.

Anyway back onto the issue at hand, I think we should make it as
simple as possible for members (of all types) to make it to our
conferences and get the cherry on top as well. Throwing something in
for free devalues it (think coupons and promotions, etc) - I can't
tell you the number of times I've skipped free events because I
didn't value them. I think being a member is and of itself a major
reason for joining. The swag and benefits such as discounted
attendance are great, but they shouldn't be the primary reason for
coming.

So I think Dave's plan is the best one. Let's work out an acceptable
discount for members of various classes and stick to that. It makes
life and administrivia easier for all concerned. After working in a
large bank, I was NOT allowed to receive the stuff I ordered to avoid
fraud. Finding it afterwards, particularly when made up of large
numbers of items was a nightmare. Many of our members would be in
this category. Let's make it easier for folks to get the discount
they deserve at the time of booking.

Remember, we make the primary source of income from conferences and
tutorials, so we don't want to devalue that as it effectively steals
from all our other projects, such as the Season of Code and
experimental items such as the travel program. If we want to continue
doing those things, we need income from reliable sources, and the
conferences are that mechanism.

thanks,
Andrew