[Owasp-board] membership question

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Thu Jun 28 07:01:16 UTC 2007

Hi Jason,

I'm the original author of WebGoat as well as the Chair of OWASP.  The words
on the website are published under the Creative Commons 2.5 license.  As
long as your publisher is okay with publishing under the CC 2.5, then we're
fine.  Please note that the CC license would require you to release your
work under the CC license as well.   Because there are multiple authors, we
are restricted in licensing the content under different terms.

I'm curious about your goals for the textbook - are you trying to make money
or is it purely to help educate?  If you are trying to educate, why not just
make it available in the open source way that OWASP has.  You may find a
greater payoff in exposure and reputation that way.

As far as membership goes, you don't strictly need to become a member to use
any of the materials (tools or documents) at OWASP.  Membership is for
organizations that believe in what we are doing and want to support our
efforts.  Membership doesn't buy you any special rights to the materials,
you'd still be bound by the terms of the CC 2.5 or the open source license
of the OWASP software you selected.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair

The OWASP Foundation <http://www.owasp.org/>

Work: 410-707-1487

Main: 301-604-4882

"Dedicated to finding and fighting the causes of insecure software"