[Owasp-board] on chapter finances (was Re: FW: Audit of OWASP)

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Jun 8 16:04:28 UTC 2007

Wiki == truthiness. Accounts need to be managed a bit better than Wiki as
the primary source. Budgets (project expenses) are acceptable on the Wiki as
we can look through the history, but where we manage funds, it must have
integrity to be believable. We don¹t want 100+ off-sheet balance sheets ­
it¹s totally impractical to manage. I don¹t want us to be paying the
accountant to grovel through 100+ pages at $whatever per hour to find the
latest expenses. We¹d be better off burning the money.

We can pay chapters for a fair amount via credit card for known future
expenses (such as mini-confs or approved travel), or reimburse regular
meeting expenses (pizza, etc) via PayPal. However, we must draw up a list of
acceptable items for chapters to expense so there¹s no misunderstanding,
particularly if we can¹t / wont fund some items (e.g. as an extreme example,
strippers, but more likely to be things like projectors, etc which should
come with the room of the sponsor).

But before we get to jumping over huge lakes before we can crawl, we need
to:

* Draw up a list of acceptable expense items (which we can revise from time
to time)
* Draw up travel approval process for chapter leads so that we can manage
the travel of speakers and make sure it doesn¹t become an out of control
expense
* Draw up a budget template page in the Wiki  so that chapter leads can
propose how they would like to spend their chapter allowance
* Draw up a process so that leads can be reimbursed properly ­ like how do
we know Joe Blogs is a chapter lead?
* Set aside some budget for chapter allowances, and work out how much each
chapter may draw upon that budget

We also need to strongly encourage chapter leads who heavily use chapter
allowances to generate income by encouraging folks to join OWASP. Let¹s
change the sign in sheets to include a ³Member² column, where folks can tick
if they are members, and we would encourage leads to check this (we may need
a private web service for this). That way, we can grow on income as well as
expenses. Unlike a government, we must have a positive cash flow. If we do
too much, we will have to cut back on our future plans, future conferences,
future SeasonOfCode, member benefits, and that helps no one.

I propose we:

* Use 30% of our funds for a maximum of one SeasonOfX per year and any
intern(s) OWASP hires
* Use 20% of our funds for member services, such as chapter meetings, mini
confs, speaker travel
* Use 30% of our funds for conference related expenses ­ usually pays back
by about 10-30% return. Put in $100,000, get $110,000 to $130,000 in return
* Use 10% of our funds as a maximum for administrivia, face to face board
meetings, back office (hosting fees, accountancy, bank fees, etc), admin
assistant
* 10% as a contingency / future development fund ­ this is where the full
time equivalent would be funded from (eventually)

It is my understanding that our income is primarily from advertising banners
(which supports our hosting, about $1k per month), generous ­ and often once
off ­ corporate sponsorships, and conference income (which only comes after
spending a bucket load of money and effort). I believe (but am unsure) that
we have very little income from individual memberships, but have many folks
who attend OWASP meetings and use our mail lists. We do not have enough
diverse sources of income to weather the loss of any one of these.

Let¹s look at this historically:

                 2004            2005             2006 (through August last
year)
income      $28,201.71   $112,429.80   $124,845.06
Expenses   $19,585.28   $58,154.13    $101,759.10
Net income  $9,386.07   $63,011.82    $87,570.86

We¹ve spent our previous three year¹s net income in two SeasonOfCodes in the
last 12 months. This is simply not sustainable without more income. I¹d
really like us to think about budgeting through the next twelve months, and
let¹s agree to some fiscally responsible budgets so OWASP can grow and to
continue to do the things like SeasonOfCode and conferences, which have
really vastly improved OWASP¹s stature, quality and breadth of materials,
and membership value.

I¹d really like to see everyone¹s budget wish lists like I¹ve done above.

Thanks,
Andrew