[Owasp-board] OWASP Top 10 ... Done!

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Mon Jan 29 15:59:26 UTC 2007

I think this is a good idea and I'm leaning towards: A3 - Malicious File
Execution

I don't think Malicious Code Execution is a good name as that crosses over
into the Injection flaws area (or could be misinterpreted as such).

Isn't the problem both about remote file execution AND remote file access?
i.e., I would hope that reaching in and pulling out a machine's password
file because I can include path information in the file download function
would fall into this category. And the fact that I can upload a PHP file to
execute, or upload an Image File with embedded Javascript and then get that
to execute in a victim's browser would both count too, right?

If so, then should the name by 'Unsafe File Access'? Or something like that?

Jeff is in a meeting now but if you have more thoughts on this Dinis, please
send so I can discuss with him when he is done with his call.

Thanks, Dave

  _____

--
Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist, Are you a member yet?