[Owasp-board] Proposal: OWASP 'Discounts' and promotion of such on OWASP

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Fri Jan 26 13:39:20 UTC 2007

Ok, I share Jeff's concern but have a different reading on the issue.

Before I put down my ideas, a couple concepts:

1) Due to our highly decentralized and open structure, the amount of 'real
power (or control)' that we have over our community is very limited (we have
a lot of 'soft power' since our opinions tend to be respected, but we have
to very careful on how and where to use that power). The areas where we DO
have some control are:

   - The www.owasp.org home page (and how is SysOp)
   - The contents of the Weekly Newsletters that goes to everybody (and
   emails to owasp-all)
   - Who is a project and chapter leader (i.e who controls the mailing
   lists)
   - Who is an OWASP member (note that we can always say no)
   - Everything related to our Conferences
   - OWASP Brand (at least the guidelines on how to use it)
   - OWASP community guidelines (i.e. what is acceptable behaviour in the
   OWASP community)

2) We should always apply the principle of the 'Wisdom of the Crowds' and
let our community decide on what is acceptable behaviour or not (there a
limits of course, but I would only use Board decisions as last resort). We
also need to take into account local cultures (what is acceptable behaviour
in Portugal might not be in the US)

3) Membership benefits. As Dave mentioned, we need to have more 'things'
that only members can do or are affected by.

4) I strongly believe that it is very important for OWASP's future to have:

   - individuals (and companies) directly afected by OWASP. And here I
   can speak for my self, since my involvement with OWASP has exposed me to all
   of my current paid projects

   - companies providing commercial services around OWASP (training is an
   obvious choice, but why don't we have companies that provide paid support
   for OWASP tools? (just like what happened with Linux))

5) The current Web Application Security Job Market is very inefficient where
it is very hard to evaluate how good people are (OWASP can play a big part
here since employeers can look at past OWASP work) and very hard to know
'who' is available for projects.

ok, with this said, here are my ideas on the subject:

Offers to OWASP Members

1) Only members should be allowed to post 'offers' to OWASP members

2) Any abuses on the Posting Guidelines (see below) will make that member
lose its membership (with no financial compensation)

3) The Posting Guidelines

   - All offers can ONLY be made to OWASP members (i.e. OWASP mailing
   list subscribers that are not OWASP members are NOT eligeble)

   - Posts to be made to the local chapter mailing list CCed to
   offersToMembers at owasp.org (if in doubt, email
   offersToMembers at owasp.org first). It is the chapter leaders
   responsibility to manage this process and to make sure that the 'Posting
   Guidelines' are meet.

   - All Discounts or Free products/services must have real value to
   owasp members and cannot be 'cheap' marketing actions

   - Jobs offers should be placed by a direct contact responsible for
   hiring (i.e. no Agencies) and must be specific to OWASP (i.e. no copy
   and paste from other job locations). Again 'no cheap' recruiting

   - Only Job offers (i.e. 'Web Security Penetration Tester is required')
   or Request for Proposals are acceptable (i.e. 'We need an App Sec team
   to test our website'), but again no copy and paste. When the requirement is
   fulfilled another post must be made making the local chapter list aware of
   the decision.

   - Job requests are NOT acceptable (i.e. ' I/We are looking for
   projects')

   - All posts must include a link to this Posting Guidelines page

4) Owasp board (or somebody appointed by it) will decide which offers are
included in the OWASP Newsletter, added as an 'official' benefit of the
'OWASP Benefits of Membership' page or posted on the relevant OWASP Jobs
page.

5) Any abuses of these guidelines should be reported immediately to
offersToMembers at owasp.org and an investigation on the issue will be
triggered

----------

What do you think?

If we can make this work, this could be another major step of OWASP, and
another massive benefit to OWASP members. Its win-win :)

If you at least agree with the principles, why don't we send an email to
owasp-leaders and ask for their opinion (then based on their answers we can
make a final decision)

Dinis

--
Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist, Are you a member yet?