[Owasp-board] FW: Motivation to attend OWASP meetings

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Jan 24 15:39:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

We're getting a number of requests from people to make special deals to
OWASP members.  While it seems like a 'no-harm' kind of thing, I'm a little
concerned about the long-term effect here.  It is really misusing OWASP for
a little cheap marketing.  I'm sure nobody here has a malicious intent, but
over the long term, it makes OWASP look a little shady.

My recommendation is that we never let anyone do this kind of advertising at
OWASP (outside the banner ad), unless there is a direct and specific benefit
to OWASP itself, and not just a corollary benefit to the members.

Thoughts?

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair
The OWASP Foundation
work: 410-707-1487
main: 301-604-4882

"Dedicated to finding and fighting the causes of insecure software"