[Owasp-board] 2006 End Financials

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Fri Jan 19 15:11:00 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, Dave Wichers <dave.wichers at owasp.org> wrote:

>  I was not planning on providing any more details than I have already
> provided. So, in my opinion, the financials are ready for release. If you
> want to release this much detail, I think that would be OK. If less, that's
> fine too.

Ok, thanks, I will release this  info just like it is

I'm certainly OK with SpoC and Membership pack investments.

thanks

I'm not convinced that some investment in some permanent (maybe part time)
> support on the administrative level wouldn't be a good investment for OWASP
> because it would allow all four of us to lean on that person to help get
> things don't so we don't have to spend so much of our 'volunteer' time doing
> OWASP things or we could invest that saved time in other OWASP things that
> deserve attention too.

Could this administrative help come from one or two SpoC sponsorship (and
note that there is nothing wrong with giving a SpoC to an 6 month project)

  I think for the leadership energy level to be sustainable we need some
> more paid/reliable/continuous/year round help in this area.

Maybe in the future, but I think that we are doing Ok at the moment (one of
the things we might need to look in the future is where the board members
should receive some financial support (to justify the time spent) but since
at the moment all of us already benefit from OWASP growth, I think that it
is a discussion to have in 6 months time)

Re; SpoC

>    - No problem with the board not bidding on projects.
>    - I think you are being aggressive in the amount of SpoC projects we
>    can handle. You are essentially tripling+ the size of the pool for this next
>    round. I'd recommend we not accelerate so quickly. Going from 8 to 40
>    projects since VERY ambitious. I would recommend we stick to just a 50%
>    increase in funds and try to limit us to adding only 2-4 additional
>    projects. [We also want to leave some $ for the AoC 2007 so we shouldn't
>    spend it all now. Of course your membership drive might fix that problem
>    J Hopefully it will.]
>
> Well that is why I wanted to have a SpoC project just to managed SpoC
projects :)

If we have the money we should spend it, note that as per your numbers $100k
still leaves us in well into the comfort zone, and we are not taking into
account that we will have two conferences this year (one potentially huge),
more new Members and (let's see what happens with the) renew of existing
Members

>    - Regarding the payments to Open Source projects, that's an
>    interesting idea. Are existing OWASP projects eligible? Seems like WebGoat
>    and WebScarab should be 2 of the top ten (if I was voting).

That is a very good question, and I would say yes! If they are voted they
should receive (that said if more 50% go to OWASP projects, then we might
organize it a bit differently)

-Dave