[Owasp-board] Using GNI to normalize Membership cost

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Thu Jan 18 04:18:08 UTC 2007

Sorry for not responding.  I read a few articles about this and I think it
does make sense.  I think it wouldn't take long to do this in javascript
within the page, so that it updates as soon as you select your country.  It
definitely makes it harder to check - and we have had some people playing
games by trying to join as educational institutions when they're commercial
companies.

--Jeff

  _____

From: Dinis Cruz < dinis at ddplus.net <mailto:dinis at ddplus.net> >
Date: Sep 5, 2006 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Next steps of the OAC (OWASP Autumn of Code)
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org  <mailto:owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>

It is not a lot of work, we just need to adjust this table
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership with this GNI data

Countries

2004

Afghanistan

..

Albania

2,120

Algeria

2,270

American Samoa

..

Andorra

..

Angola

930

Antigua and Barbuda

9,480

Argentina

3,580

Armenia

1,060

Aruba

..

Australia

27,070

Austria

32,280

Azerbaijan

940

Bahamas, The

..

Bahrain

14,370

Bangladesh

440

Barbados

..

Belarus

2,140

Belgium

31,280

Belize

3,940

Benin

450

Bermuda

..

Bhutan

760

Bolivia

960

Bosnia and Herzegovina

2,040

Botswana

4,360

Brazil

3,000

Brunei

..

Bulgaria

2,750

Burkina Faso

350

Burundi

90

Cambodia

350

Cameroon

810

Canada

28,310

Cape Verde

1,720

Cayman Islands

..

Central African Republic

310

Chad

250

Channel Islands

..

Chile

5,220

China

1,500

Colombia

2,020

Comoros

560

Congo, Dem. Rep.

110

Congo, Rep.

760

Costa Rica

4,470

Cote d'Ivoire

760

Croatia

6,820

Cuba

..

Cyprus

16,510

Czech Republic

9,130

Denmark

40,750

Djibouti

950

Dominica

3,670

Dominican Republic

2,100

East Asia & Pacific

1,416

Ecuador

2,210

Egypt, Arab Rep.

1,250

El Salvador

2,320

Equatorial Guinea

..

Eritrea

190

Estonia

7,080

Ethiopia

110

Europe & Central Asia

3,295

European Monetary Union

27,921

Faeroe Islands

..

Fiji

2,720

Finland

32,880

France

30,370

French Polynesia

..

Gabon

4,080

Gambia, The

280

Georgia

1,060

Germany

30,690

Ghana

380

Greece

16,730

Greenland

..

Grenada

3,750

Guam

..

Guatemala

2,190

Guinea

410

Guinea-Bissau

160

Guyana

1,020

Haiti

..

Heavily indebted poor countries (HIPC)

341

High income

32,112

High income: nonOECD

16,046

High income: OECD

33,547

Honduras

1,040

Hong Kong, China

26,660

Hungary

8,370

Iceland

37,920

India

620

Indonesia

1,140

Iran, Islamic Rep.

2,320

Iraq

..

Ireland

34,310

Isle of Man

..

Israel

17,360

Italy

26,280

Jamaica

3,300

Japan

37,050

Jordan

2,190

Kazakhstan

2,250

Kenya

480

Kiribati

970

Korea, Dem. Rep.

..

Korea, Rep.

14,000

Kuwait

22,470

Kyrgyz Republic

400

Lao PDR

390

Latin America & Caribbean

3,576

Latvia

5,580

Least developed countries: UN classification

333

Lebanon

6,010

Lesotho

730

Liberia

120

Libya

4,400

Liechtenstein

..

Lithuania

5,740

Low & middle income

1,502

Low income

507

Lower middle income

1,686

Luxembourg

56,380

Macao, China

..

Macedonia, FYR

2,420

Madagascar

290

Malawi

160

Malaysia

4,520

Maldives

2,410

Mali

330

Malta

12,050

Marshall Islands

2,320

Mauritania

530

Mauritius

4,640

Mayotte

..

Mexico

6,790

Micronesia, Fed. Sts.

2,300

Middle East & North Africa

1,972

Middle income

2,274

Moldova

720

Monaco

..

Mongolia

600

Morocco

1,570

Mozambique

270

Myanmar

..

Namibia

2,380

Nepal

250

Netherlands

32,130

Netherlands Antilles

..

New Caledonia

..

New Zealand

19,990

Nicaragua

830

Niger

210

Nigeria

430

Northern Mariana Islands

..

Norway

51,810

Oman

9,070

Pakistan

600

Palau

6,870

Panama

4,210

Papua New Guinea

560

Paraguay

1,140

Peru

2,360

Philippines

1,170

Poland

6,100

Portugal

14,220

Puerto Rico

..

Qatar

..

Romania

2,960

Russian Federation

3,400

Rwanda

210

Samoa

1,840

San Marino

..

Sao Tome and Principe

390

Saudi Arabia

10,140

Senegal

630

Serbia and Montenegro

2,680

Seychelles

8,190

Sierra Leone

210

Singapore

24,760

Slovak Republic

6,480

Slovenia

14,770

Solomon Islands

560

Somalia

..

South Africa

3,630

South Asia

594

Spain

21,530

Sri Lanka

1,010

St. Kitts and Nevis

..

St. Lucia

4,180

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

3,400

Sub-Saharan Africa

601

Sudan

530

Suriname

2,230

Swaziland

1,660

Sweden

35,840

Switzerland

49,600

Syrian Arab Republic

1,230

Tajikistan

280

Tanzania

320

Thailand

2,490

Timor-Leste

550

Togo

310

Tonga

1,860

Trinidad and Tobago

8,730

Tunisia

2,650

Turkey

3,750

Turkmenistan

..

Uganda

250

Ukraine

1,270

United Arab Emirates

23,770

United Kingdom

33,630

United States

41,440

Upper middle income

4,769

Uruguay

3,900

Uzbekistan

450

Vanuatu

1,390

Venezuela, RB

4,030

Vietnam

540

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

..

West Bank and Gaza

..

World

6,329

Yemen, Rep.

550

Zambia

400

Zimbabwe

620

taken from http://devdata.worldbank.org/data-query/ (the query was for 'All
Countries' -> 'GNI per Capita, Atlas method' -> year 2004

For reference what we need to use is the GNI and not the GDP (see
http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/DATASTATISTICS/0,,contentMDK:204515
03~menuPK:64133156~pagePK:64133150~piPK:64133175~theSitePK:239419,00.html
<http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/DATASTATISTICS/0,,contentMDK:20451
503%7EmenuPK:64133156%7EpagePK:64133150%7EpiPK:64133175%7EtheSitePK:239419,0
0.html>
)

And here is an interresting article that uses the GNI as a comparison:
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_12/ghosh/#g2

Dinis

On 9/5/06, Jeff Williams <jeff.williams at owasp.org> wrote:

I totally agree the GDP factor would be more fair.

Is this any more work?  Who will do it?

--Jeff

  _____