[Owasp-board] new OWASP book? "OWASP Attacks Reference Guide 2007"

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Dec 26 16:12:31 UTC 2007

Hi Leonardo,

I must have missed your message on the 13th.  My only real goal for the
April 1 deadline is to have a printable book that documents all the
“foundation” elements for application security.  We need a reference that
captures not just attacks (WASC threat thing) or vulnerabilities (CWE) but
threat agents, countermeasures, technical impacts, and common business
impacts.

My vision is that every risk must have

A threat agent using an attack targeting a vulnerability (a missing or
broken countermeasure) that results in a technical impact and ultimately
causes a business impact.

So we need a reference guide that has these things all defined and
interlinked. Not all threat agents can launch all attacks, not all attacks
work on all vulnerabilities, etc

Let’s get it started!!!  Send out the call for volunteers right away.  But
instead of a general request, I think we need to be specific.  Like put an
outline of all the articles and ask for volunteers to take responsibility
for parts of the outline.  We can use this to track progress in a wiki page.
E.g.

Threat Agents

-        X

-        Y

-        Z

Attacks

-        X

-        Y

-        Z

Vulnerabilities

-        Category A  (assigned to Steve Jobs) (done)

-        Category B  (assigned to Steve McQueen)

-        Category C

Countermeasures

-        X

-        Y

-        Z

Etc

--Jeff

To: jeff.williams at owasp.org
Cc: Przemyslaw Skowron; Dinis Cruz

Hello Jeff and Dinis,

Busy time, hã?! :)

Can we have any details regarding the following ideas?
We are really willing to put all that in practice.

Best wishes,
Leo

On Nov 30, 2007 9:35 AM, Leonardo Cavallari Militelli
<leonardocavallari at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

In addition, while I was developing the attack guide I realize that there
are poor integration of the guides (threats, attacks, vulnerabilities and
countermeasure) and I was waiting just the end of SPOC and OWASP conferences
to propose a new project regarding the reviewing,  organization and
integration of them.

Of course, it won't be possible to us be on charge of developing/describing
all items in the guide, so the idea is to create a to-do list and call OWASP
members to contribute in order to get it done quickly. Then we could review
the contents and compile "the bible"! :)

Jeff and Dinis, let us know your thoughts!

Cheers,
Leo

On Nov 30, 2007 2:57 AM, Jeff Williams < jeff.williams at owasp.org
<mailto:jeff.williams at owasp.org> > wrote:

Dinis,

I think this is a ridiculously good idea. Actually I think we could expand
it to cover threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities.  It would be great to
stir up some interest on the lists by setting a publication date.

I'd like to help, but I don't know all the details of getting the books
produced. Dinis - what are the steps that have to be done before production?

Great idea guys!

--Jeff