[Owasp-board] (vote request) Fwd: new OWASP book? "OWASP Attacks Reference Guide 2007"

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Sun Dec 2 21:25:28 UTC 2007

I'm all for funding this.  But I think it's important to recognize that we
shouldn't be funding improvements to the material directly.  Our most
successful projects (Testing Guide) are where we fund the manager to build a
team to get things done.  These guys did some nice improvements to the
attack stuff - but it was just their work.  I think if we had someone
promote this heavily, we could get a large community of people working on
this - dwarfing the improvements a small group of individuals could
accomplish.

--Jeff

From: Leonardo Cavallari Militelli <leonardocavallari at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 30, 2007 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: new OWASP book? "OWASP Attacks Reference Guide 2007"
To: jeff.williams at owasp.org
Cc: Przemyslaw Skowron <przemyslaw.skowron at gmail.com>, Dinis Cruz <
dinis at ddplus.net <mailto:dinis at ddplus.net> >

Hello all,

In addition, while I was developing the attack guide I realize that there
are poor integration of the guides (threats, attacks, vulnerabilities and
countermeasure) and I was waiting just the end of SPOC and OWASP conferences
to propose a new project regarding the reviewing,  organization and
integration of them.

Of course, it won't be possible to us be on charge of developing/describing
all items in the guide, so the idea is to create a to-do list and call OWASP
members to contribute in order to get it done quickly. Then we could review
the contents and compile "the bible"! :)

Jeff and Dinis, let us know your thoughts!

Cheers,
Leo

On Nov 30, 2007 2:57 AM, Jeff Williams < jeff.williams at owasp.org
<mailto:jeff.williams at owasp.org> > wrote:

Dinis,

I think this is a ridiculously good idea. Actually I think we could expand
it to cover threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities.  It would be great to
stir up some interest on the lists by setting a publication date.

I'd like to help, but I don't know all the details of getting the books
produced. Dinis - what are the steps that have to be done before production?

Great idea guys!

--Jeff