[Owasp-board] Fwd: Cenzic patent case against SPI

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Mon Aug 27 03:21:14 UTC 2007

I just had an idea which could be very interesting :)

Why don't we propose that the companies who have 'crazy' patents on web
security related technologies donate those patents to OWASP. This would done
under the logic that they would never be used on a lawsuit (i.e. OWASP would
act as a safe harbor for these patents).

We can use the argument that "If this is a 'defensive' patent, then OWASP
will be a better harbor for that patent"

Note that in the future we should consider to ban from OWASP's membership,
all companies who use that type of Patents in anti-competitive manners
(which have the power to negatively affect the entire industry)

What do you think?

Dinis