[Owasp-board] OWASP & Industry Vendors - Discussion

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Sun Aug 26 23:39:59 UTC 2007

Ok, after reading these threads about the Tawain conference, I do think that
we should let the conference go as planned.

Wayne has definitely crossed some lines and we will need much more clarity
and visibility in the future about the decision making process over there in
Taiwan. We also need much stronger guidelines from OWASP about these issues
(Justin here is an area which you could help a lot if you have the time :)
)

The issue with the vendors is about balance, OWASP would not make sense
without them (not the vendors but the people hired by those vendors) and
OWASP cannot be controlled by the vendors. The key is in finding a balance
where the OWASP principles and values are respected and enforced.

Part of the vendors (and membership) guidelines must be clauses dictating
the reasons why a membership would be canceled (and membership cancellation
is something that the OWASP board should enforce summarily (nothing like
kicking a couple companies out of OWASP to make everybody take notice))

Back to Wayne, following an email from Jeff, his (Wayne) responses did show
that he understands the dangers of the perception that OWASP is controlled
by a company, so lets see what happens next.

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist
http://www.owasp.org