[Owasp-board] Special Request to perticipate in the sponsorship of Austin OWASP

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Fri Aug 10 15:20:26 UTC 2007

Hi Scott

First off all congratulations for the number of events and the quality of
the presentations.

The only problem that exists with your currently Sponsorship model is the
line : '   The sponsoring vendor has the option to present their  specific
technology that addresses one of the OWASP top 10. ', since this allows
vendors to 'buy' themselves into an OWASP event.

There is no problem in having individuals from vendors doing presentations,
but these have to be vendor neural and not 'marketing pitches in disguise' .
For example the ' Running Web Application Scans using Watchfire AppScan 7.5.'
doesn't seem to respect that spirit, where H.D. Moore is a more fuzzy case
since it is an Open Source tool with enormous education value.

What happens in other chapters is that the company sponsoring the event
(with dollar values similar to the ones you guys use) gets a reference, a
thank you note and in some locations a table where it can put some of its
marketing material (again in a soft / 'not in your face' mode)

Vendor independence is very important to OWASP and we need to be very
careful to preserve our independence

Thanks for all the good work

Let me know if I can help with anything

Dinis Cruz