[Owasp-board] Special Request to perticipate in the sponsorship of Austin OWASP

Foster, Scott sfoster at austinnetworking.com
Thu Aug 23 16:49:01 UTC 2007

Great feedback guys.    Just trying to find a way to get a free lunch
provided.  I think that I will drop it for now.  I am not sure I have
time right now to give this any more energy.  If there is a good policy
that other chapters have come up?    I just need something to refer
vendors to when they ask to sponsor our meetings.

I think that for now I will just tell folks that we don't allow sponsors
and evaluate if they  have something "worthy" to present.

Scott Foster
Cell: 512-590-0185
Email:sfoster at austinnetworking.com
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/fostercs12000>     Check out Austin
OWASP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Austin>    Check out Austin AITP
<http://www.austinaitp.org/>

Cc: james.wickett at ni.com
OWASP

Guys what do you think of the as a invitation to sponsor our group.  I
am not finished but you get the idea.  Your feedback would be greatly
appreciated.  I want to get this ready to send out to all the vendors
that have any thing to do with web apps.   We are going to need a
non-profit status and checking account and all that if we do this.

************************

The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP)
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Austin> is an open community dedicated
to enabling organizations to develop, purchase, and maintain
applications that can be trusted.  We advocate approaching application
security as a people, process, and technology problem because the most
effective approaches to application security includes improvements in
all of these areas.

Each month here in Austin during our chapter meeting, a subject matter
expert presents and on one of the OWASP top 10 topics
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Top_Ten> . OWASP chapter meetings
are free and open to anyone interested in application security.

Below are some of the meetings and topics we have had since we kicked
this thing off in July of last year.

July 2007 Austin OWASP chapter meeting - at Whole Foods. Dan Cornell
presented on Cross Site Request Forgery
June 2007 Austin OWASP chapter meeting - at National Instruments. James
Wicket presented on Running Web Application Scans using Watchfire
AppScan 7.5.
May 2007 Austin OWASP chapter meeting - at Whole Foods Market,downtown
"Bullet Proof UI - A programmer's guide to the complete idiot".
April 2007 Austin OWASP chapter meeting - 4/24  at National Instruments.
H.D. Moore (creator of MetaSploit will be presenting)
March 2007 Austin OWASP chapter meeting - 3/27 at National Instruments,
A Rough Start of a Toolset for Assessing Java/J2EE Web Apps
January 2007 Austin Chapter Meeting
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=January_2007_Austin_Chapter_Meeti
ng&action=edit>  - 1/30  at National Instruments, Single Sign On
November 2006 Austin Chapter Meeting
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=November_2006_Austin_Chapter_Meet
ing&action=edit>  - 11/21 at National Instruments, OPEN ID
October 2006 Austin Chapter Meeting
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=October_2006_Austin_Chapter_Meeti
ng&action=edit>  - 10/31 - Web Application Threat Modeling: Understand
How Attackers will Attempt to Exploit your App by  John Dickson and Cap
Diebel
September 2006 Austin Chapter Meeting
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/September_2006_Austin_Chapter_Meeting>
- 9/26,  at Texas ACCESS Alliance building
August 2006 Austin Chapter Meeting
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/August_2006_Austin_Chapter_Meeting>  -
Tuesday- 8/29  on the National Instruments campus, AJAX Security: Here
we go again
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Image:DenimGroup_AJAXSecurityHereWeGoAga
in_Content_20060829.pdf>  - Dan Cornell from Denim Group
<http://www.denimgroup.com/>
Austin OWASP chapter kickoff meeting - Thursday, 7/27

Sponsorship opportunities:

Just like all the other technology special interest groups we want the
sponsors money but not the sales pitch.  So in an effort to balance the
educational and financial needs of the group and marketing need of the
vendor  Each month as many as 30 local developers attend the Austin
OWASP meetings to learn about Web App threats and how to address them.
Attendees include developers, directors of security, vendors,
consultants, as well as vendor product managers, and open source tool
developers.   Sponsorship allows vendors to provide lunch for three
meetings for only $ 1500.   The sponsoring vendor has the option to
present their  specific technology that addresses one of the OWASP top
10.  The presentation must address how developers will address security
thru better code and software development.  The presentation by the
vendor must explore the security vulnerability at a code level
demonstrating how a hacker would exploit the vulnerability and then what
best practice in code development would address the vulnerability.   In
addition vendors who address security threats thru the use of
proprietary Appliances and software are allowed to present their
solution after they have defined at a code level the threat and a code
solution.   Due to holidays and speaker scheduling the three meetings
may not be consecutive months.    A sponsor may choose not to present if
they wish.

Scott Foster
Cell: 512-590-0185
Email:sfoster at austinnetworking.com