[Owasp-board] Owasp governance

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Fri Nov 3 06:01:05 UTC 2006

Are you kidding?

People started using the evangelist title back in like 1994 - like Guy
Kawasaki at Apple and lots of others.  He calls it "secular evangelist".  No
less than Vint Cerf just joined Google with the title of Chief Internet
Evangelist.  Here's a list from some quick Google searching..

* Connie
<http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:KHIB9H5okuQJ:www.contactcenterworld.co
m/html/ei/ei_%257B66333763-b859-4538-93f0-171c35396e9a%257D.asp+%22chief+eva
ngelist%22&hl=en&client=firefox-a>  Smith, Chief Evangelist, Envision
<http://www.envision.com/>
* Simon <http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/bios/bios-phipps.html>  Phipps,
Chief Technology Evangelist, Sun <http://www.sun.com>  Microsystems
* Bill Durr <http://www.bluepumpkin.com/pressrl/2000/121800.html> , Chief
Evangelist, Blue Pumpkin <http://www.bluepumpkin.com/>
* Paul <http://www.strassmann.com/pubs/nasa/2002-10-spaceref.html>
Strassmann, One NASA Chief Evangelist, NASA <http://www.nasa.gov>
* Bruce <http://www.cmpevents.com/ESCe05/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=259645>
Powel Douglass, Chief Evangelist, iLogix <http://www.ilogix.com>
* Betsy <http://www.techsmith.com/community/bloghome.asp>  Weber, Chief
Evangelist, TechSmith <http://www.techsmith.com>

The evangelist's role is to get customers, employees, and partners to
believe in a product or service. A technical evangelist does that for
technical products such as development platforms, or web services. For
software it means fostering a community of developers, make them happy, help
them achieve their dreams using your platform.

Here are some practical guidelines for being an evangelist.
http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/01/the_art_of_evan.html.  Now tell me it
doesn't fit.

--Jeff

  _____

On 11/2/06, Jeff Williams < jeff.williams at owasp.org
<mailto:jeff.williams at owasp.org> > wrote:

The board has a Chair and an Executive Director.  I think you need a title.
What do you think about "Chief OWASP Evangelist".  I use The OWASP
Foundation in my emails to help make people realize that we're the real
deal.

As far as governance, we should just update the How OWASP Works page a bit
to reflect how things have evolved.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair

The OWASP Foundation <http://www.owasp.org/>

work: 410-707-1487

main: 301-604-4882

"Dedicated to finding and fighting the causes of insecure software"

  _____