[Owasp-board] Fwd: Jobs posts @ OWASP

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Tue Dec 19 21:24:37 UTC 2006

I've thought about doing this in the past, and I'm not convinced that this
will help us further our mission.  It helps larger firms more than smaller
ones, which I don't think is good for the industry.  It's also messy
commercial stuff that doesn't help our image as people who love doing this
stuff.

It was Joel's job board that made me start considering this. Then I started
realizing how much work it would be to manage ourselves.  But I hadn't
considered outsourcing.

I concluded that it's not a good idea, and after reconsidering it, I'm still
there.

--Jeff

  _____

From: Dinis Cruz < dinis at ddplus.net <mailto:dinis at ddplus.net> >
Date: Dec 19, 2006 5:43 PM
Subject: Jobs posts @ OWASP
To: owasp-board at lists.owasp.org

Another Idea that was forwarded to me was: 'Why doesn't OWASP allows the
posting of Job offers and charges for it?"

I know that before we talked against it, but his argument was that it would
really help since 'it is REALLY hard to recruit Application Security
consultants'.

I have been thinking about this in the last couple days, and today I found:
http://jobs.joelonsoftware.com which charges $350 for 21 days posting (
<http://jobs.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?pg=pgFAQ>
http://jobs.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?pg=pgFAQ) and thought 'hey why
don't we get these guys to manage a similar service for us (taking a fee of
course)'

What do you say?

Are you OK if I send this question to the owasp-leaders?

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist, Are you a member yet?
http://www.owasp.org