[Owasp-board] Paulo @ OWASP AppSec USA 2011?

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Sat Apr 10 02:12:20 UTC 2004

Paulo, I think this plan is fine.  I'm looking forward to seeing you in MN.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

 <http://www.owasp.org/> www.owasp.org

Skype:  Kate.hartmann1

From: Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:18:56 -0400
To: OWASP Foundation Board List <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>
Cc: <projects at owasp.org>, Adam Baso <adam.baso at owasp.org>, Paulo Coimbra
<pcoimbra at owasp.org>
Subject: Re: Paulo @ OWASP AppSec USA 2011?

Board,

We had heard some previous discussions that implied that there were

already existing plans/budget to bring Paulo to AppSecUSA (either by

the conference organizers or by the Board), so I asked Paulo to verify

if his expenses would be covered by some other initiative within

OWASP.

The GPC had already planned for Paulo to attend both our working

sessions in our original budget proposal this year, so we will cover

the appropriate expenses based on our existing policies.

Specifically, our policy is to provide committee members with an

allowance up to the equivalent of the cheapest cost of airfare and

accommodations. This allowance is calculated taking into account that

it may be cheaper for OWASP to pay for additional night(s) of

accommodation if the airfare is substantially cheaper by either

arriving or staying earlier/later. For example, by arriving a day

earlier to the working session at AppSec EU, the GPC saved several hundred

dollars *per person* on airfare, which was more than enough to cover

the additional night of accommodations. Even after the additional

night of accommodations, the final costs of the first GPC working

session were still 11.6% under budget.

This "allowance" is the model we pioneered for the OWASP Summit once

it became clear that Diplomata/Summit Attendees needed proper guidance

to spend OWASP funds appropriately. Obviously, we also used the same

model for the previous GPC Working Session

(http://sl.owasp.org/gpcws-jun11-proceedings#h.8jvs9j2p59fn). This

policy ensures that OWASP is not paying unnecessarily high costs for

travel, while granting the attendee the flexibility to work their own

travel schedule and arrangements.

The GPC will communicate with Paulo the appropriate allowance and he

can choose his travel plans accordingly.

-Jason

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Paulo Coimbra <pcoimbra at owasp.org> wrote:

Board,

Since the OWASP AppSec USA 2011 is swiftly approaching, it seemed

appropriate to ask whether you consider my presence useful.

For your information, except for being confronted with an unplanned event, I

am available to join the meeting and believe that I could give a

contribution.

Also, the GPC is considering a working session to be held beginning

 September, 18 and I believe it supports my participation.

Being so, I ask whether OWASP pays the travel and accommodation costs

associated with my presence at these two events (GPC WS + Conf) throughout

the period 18 - 23 of September.

Additionally, in the event of your answer to the question above being

positive, please allow me, I have a couple more of issues on which I need

your evaluation as follows.

As my wife will need to be in Boston for work on the week before the OWASP

conference, I was thinking to also be in Boston during that time. I would be

working as normal throughout this period and go to Minneapolis immediately

after. What do you think?

If OK, I would obviously pay for the internal flight Boston-Minneapolis, and

would expense OWASP the stay in Minneapolis and the flights Lisbon-Boston

and Minneapolis-Lisbon.

Do you think this would work? If so, which OWASP budget would support this

cost? How should I proceed in operational terms? Can I book my flights and

see with Kate about accommodation?

Thanks,

- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra