[Owasp-board] Paulo @ OWASP AppSec USA 2011?

Paulo Coimbra pcoimbra at owasp.org
Sat Apr 10 00:24:28 UTC 2004

Jason, GPC,

I don't want to be a pain but I need to clarify the terms of my travel to
the OWASP AppSec USA as soon as possible because right know I am merely a
fortnight away from my ideal departure date.

In my email below I had asked for your agreement relatively to the
possibility of moving my work place during the week before the AppSec USA
(11 ­ 17 September) so that I could accompany my wife in a business travel
in which she plans a stay in Boston. As I already said I would be working as
normal throughout this period and go to Minneapolis immediately after.

Also, in terms of costs,  I have presented a proposal in which I would pay
for the internal flight Boston-Minneapolis, and would expense OWASP the stay
in Minneapolis and the flights Lisbon-Boston and Minneapolis-Lisbon.

So, if you agree with the frame above as I have understood you do from your
previous email, could you please let me know if I can work with Diplomata
Tours and ask them to produce a cost estimation for the flights to present
you? Also, can I work with Kate to make a hotel reservation in Minneapolis
for the period 18 ­ 23 of September?

Thanks,
- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra
OWASP Project Manager <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra>

From:  Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org>
Date:  Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:18:56 -0400
To:  OWASP Foundation Board List <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>
Cc:  <projects at owasp.org>, Adam Baso <adam.baso at owasp.org>, Paulo Coimbra
<pcoimbra at owasp.org>
Subject:  Re: Paulo @ OWASP AppSec USA 2011?

Board,

We had heard some previous discussions that implied that there were
already existing plans/budget to bring Paulo to AppSecUSA (either by
the conference organizers or by the Board), so I asked Paulo to verify
if his expenses would be covered by some other initiative within
OWASP.

The GPC had already planned for Paulo to attend both our working
sessions in our original budget proposal this year, so we will cover
the appropriate expenses based on our existing policies.

Specifically, our policy is to provide committee members with an
allowance up to the equivalent of the cheapest cost of airfare and
accommodations. This allowance is calculated taking into account that
it may be cheaper for OWASP to pay for additional night(s) of
accommodation if the airfare is substantially cheaper by either
arriving or staying earlier/later. For example, by arriving a day
earlier to the working session at AppSec EU, the GPC saved several hundred
dollars *per person* on airfare, which was more than enough to cover
the additional night of accommodations. Even after the additional
night of accommodations, the final costs of the first GPC working
session were still 11.6% under budget.

This "allowance" is the model we pioneered for the OWASP Summit once
it became clear that Diplomata/Summit Attendees needed proper guidance
to spend OWASP funds appropriately. Obviously, we also used the same
model for the previous GPC Working Session
(http://sl.owasp.org/gpcws-jun11-proceedings#h.8jvs9j2p59fn). This
policy ensures that OWASP is not paying unnecessarily high costs for
travel, while granting the attendee the flexibility to work their own
travel schedule and arrangements.

The GPC will communicate with Paulo the appropriate allowance and he
can choose his travel plans accordingly.

-Jason