[OWASP-benchmark-project] Proposal for handling time taken for running test cases against DAST scans

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Sat Dec 12 20:02:27 UTC 2015

Kevin,

The test cases are generators from 3 primary building blocks:

1) The source of taint (e.g., request.getParameter(), or headers, or
cookies, etc.)
2) Various kinds of propagation constructs (including none at all).
3) A sink (e.g., runtime.exec(), or an HTTP response, or an SQL query).

Currently, there are about:

14 sources
Over 100 sinks
~25 propagators

Not all of these are compatible with each other. That said, producing ALL
of the combinations would result in 100K or so test cases, but would
involve massive redundancy. That¹s why a much smaller subset is reasonable
to produce because each building block is included between 25 up to 100 or
more times already. And that¹s with the 2740 test cases.

I¹m OK with generating a bigger set, and in fact, it should naturally grow
as we add more building blocks. So I think starting with 2740 dynamic test
cases is a good balance between having a good / broad set, and the time it
takes to run a successful scan with agains the Benchmark with Dynamic
tools.

-Dave

P.s. We are working on a UI update for the Benchmark that will organize
all the test cases into different categories by vulnerability category and
will even break up the tests within a category as well so we never have
more than 80 test cases for a single directory in the URL space.  This
will make it easy for someone to test just one or a few specific types of
vulns with their DAST scanner rather than having to scan the entire
Benchmark each time.