[Owasp-bayarea] Opportunities for OWASP Bay Area Chapter Leadership

Cory Scott cory at crazypenguin.com
Mon Aug 5 02:02:43 UTC 2013

I would like to join the chorus of appreciation to Teresa for helping
restart the OWASP Bay Area Chapter. Thank you!

As you can imagine, I would like some help in the leadership team here.
There's opportunity in the following areas:

1. Venue selection and accommodations. Getting the right space at the right
time at the right location amongst a set of volunteering companies and
organizations is very challenging. I know I've screwed this up a few times,
where a space was too small (or big) for demand. I'm also pretty lousy at
getting refreshments and other nice things for meetings. Help me!

2. Developer outreach. Jon Passki has brought this up: OWASP should be
reaching out to developer meetups in the area and presenting content. We
discussed a bounty program to help use chapter funds for this project. You
can help shape this initiative.

3. Social-gathering-style meetups. I have the bandwidth to put together
speakers for four meetings a year and to screen them for appropriate
content that brings together a coherent message. Of course, more help here
is always wanted, but there's also demand for meet-and-greets and cocktail
hours under the OWASP banner (usually it's a vendor that wants to
contribute, usually for the right reasons). Would love to have someone take
on this role, as I'm pretty allergic to vendor-sponsored anything.

If you're interested, feel free to email me off-list and we'll chat.

Cory