[OWASP-Bangalore] [null] OwaspWIA + InfoSecGirls Tech Talk on 16 February 2019

Vandana Verma vandana.verma at owasp.org
Mon Feb 18 05:33:57 UTC 2019

HI Ronnie,

To answer your question, the webinars are open to all to attend. It is the
speakers who are women only

However, about the overall need of initiatives like owasp WIA or InfoSec
Girls, I will put across some points:

1. First of all, there is no concern in attending gender neutral meets /
events and we encourage females to attend and participate in gender neutral
meet ups. In fact, I co-lead the OWASP Bangalore chapter which is a gender
neutral/mixed group.

2. The initiative or work is mostly to help females get introduced to the
broader community and industry which can add to their confidence to
participate at broader levels. It provides a platform to women for becoming
more confident by attending or presenting at events which are smaller and
for more intimate/closed group (with females only).

3. You might ask, why is the need to only provide females such platform and
why cant they just start from common platforms such as gender neutral
meet-ups or events? The answer is; I have been to different parts of world
(including different cities in India) and spoken to various people who run
communities, they all agree with a point that there is very less female
participation in their groups. Even if someone comes once, they do not
attend or participate after that. There are various reasons for this and we
can have a separate thread to talk about the reasons, but a common cause
is, an attendance of only a few females might make them feel intimidated in
large groups of people which have huge male numbers. Also as Ishaq
mentioned, a unique problem (which is unique to our culture) is that not
many parents are comfortable sending their girls to such large groups which
have a huge number of males (you might want to call these age old things,
but they still do exist for some real and natural reasons). Overall, all of
these adds up to reasons towards lack of self-confidence and not being able
to move at equal speed

Through platforms such as WIA or InfoSec girls, we do not want to create a
separate community (these are part and extension of same communities and we
all participate in same events, companies, etc) but rather provide an
initial platform for females to understand the spirit of communities, value
of knowledge sharing and other good things communities can provide.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to drop me a note, if you have any
further questions.

Thank You
Vandana