[OWASP-Bangalore] BSNL Modems Exploit

Niranjan Patil niranjan.patil at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 00:52:25 EDT 2009

Dear Prakash,

This is a good discovery. I recommend you to report this to the CPE vendor,
ZTE and the service provider, BSNL. Of course, they don't have vulnerability
reporting channel with them, at least we can report it through tech support
or to senior officials in BSNL. You can also report it to CERT India, which
is now being strengthened with more power and responsibility. You need to
provide sufficient proof of exploitation for them to act.

To over come such vulnerabilities or other weak implementations (in earlier
Huawei and other modems), you can configure your computer to directly
dial-in using PPPoE (if you have a single computer) or use another router
like Linksys, Netgear or Dlink (which seem to have better and secure
implementation) and configure PPPoE dial in through the modem. This
effectively turns the BSNL router/modem into a dumb device, working just as
a modem. This method does not fix the actual vulnerabilities but reduces the
attack surface.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ZTE modem to test this vulnerability.

Below are some contact you can use:
ZTE: http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/en/contact_us/

CERT: http://cert-in.org.in/vul-reporting.htm

BSNL: http://www.bsnl.co.in/directory_officer.htm